Favorite/Least Favorite Things about G-Body Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Likes: Kept the mid size line alive & RWD, able to put the bigger older engines, roomy & comfortable interiors, easy to work on.
Dislikes: GM cheaped out on materials & steel thickness, Vega 7.5" rears, metric fasteners, poor stick shift choices, slow aftermarket/resto development

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Pros: Cheap and easy to work on, readily available, very easy to modify, interchangeability

Cons: Plastic interior, horrid looking dashboards(except the GP), flimsy frames, 7.5 rears

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The worst feature: GM stopped making them in late 1987! Malibus were done in 1983!
The best feature: Chevrolet engines shared motor mounts and bellhousings! (Ford made 3 different 351s...) Because management kept engineering on a tight leash, GM recycled chassis parts all the way out to 2002 in the S body trucks. Thus, the Blazer spindle swap...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
The history behind these cars is what I like. These cars kind of symbolize the beginning of the end of "old GM" IMO. The 80s were some dark days for GM with the American auto industry falling into decline. From 78-88 when GM was making these cars, GM (and the other American manufacturers) were just building whatever cars they could barely slap together based on decades old design and engineering. They poorly tried to adapt smog equipment and computers to their old engines, which only served to choke their power outputs to death. Instead of building cars people wanted to buy, GM built what was familiar and cheap to build. Quality and innovation went out the window. Then the imports came in with way higher gas mileage and similar power outputs from smaller engines and cars that were much better quality than what Detroit was offering. GM signed their own death certificate by refusing to innovate. These cars were sort of a missed opportunity for GM, I think. Instead of sticking with RWD, body-on-frame cars with wheezy V8s and V6s, GM could've built a higher quality, unibody FWD midsize to really complete with Honda and Toyota, and saved themselves from their bankruptcy before it happened. They eventually did build FWD midsize cars with the A Body Cutlass Cieras and the W Body Regals, but by then it was kinda too late.

But oh well, in the end it all worked out because GM is still alive, and building better cars now than they have in 40 years, and now we all have cool RWD body on frame cars that easily accept any engine you throw at them.

• Agree

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
...and now we all have cool RWD body on frame cars that easily accept any engine you throw at them.

I think that’s probably my favorite part. I agree the G-Body’s reeked of compromise from the factory. Heck, even the GNX had rear drums! But because the engineering was so “retro” for their time makes them great candidates to customize and hot rod.

In terms of GM making a competitive, quality midsizer, I’d say they didn’t get to that point until the mid-2000s!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
But because the engineering was so “retro” for their time makes them great candidates to customize and hot rod.

Yeah, it kinda only served to benefit us guys who like to hot rod them.

In terms of GM making a competitive, quality midsizer, I’d say they didn’t get to that point until the mid-2000s!

GM seemed like they started to catch on in the mid 90s, but by the late 90s basically until their bankruptcy they built some atrocities. The HHR, early 2000s Malibus, Cobalts, Aveos...

• Agree

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I hate to say it, but the only company still carrying the torch for reasonably affordable performance RWD models anymore, aside from the Camaro and Mustang is FCA. And who knows how much longer that’s going to last. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor