Fiberglass Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn F.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am wanting to purchase a new hood in 2 months or so and trying to decide if I want to go with a fiberglass or steel hood? I do want a 2 or 3 inch cowl hood of course but just not sure on what material. The only reason I thought about fiberglass is because I am told they are a bit cheaper in price, no rust issues to worry about, and they are lighter. It would be going on a daily driver 1980 El Camino but I thought it would be nice to shave some weight off the front of this heavy beast if at all possible. I was even thinking about fiberglass front fenders as well if they make them.
What do you guys think about fiberglass parts for a daily driver and using stock hinges and hood latch? A friend of mine uses them on his race cars and said he would trust them on a daily driver even though some say they will begin to crack and wave. I have done paint and body work on many cars with fiberglass hoods and such and have not seen wave issues on hot days like some say.

I'd greatly appreciate any input here guys!

If you go with fiberglass, you'll need to remove the springs from the hood hinges, unless you want to crack or buckle the hood the first time you close it...

well there is a fiberglass hood with steel reinforcement that can be used with the hinges and latch. i think it's from goodmark.

Fiberglass is nice for weight reduction but I have yet to see a Fiberglass hood that has the fit and finish of a factory steel hood. I prefer steel personally.

i heard that the stock steel hood weighs like 50 pound and the fiberglass weighs like 20 something imo thats alot of diffrence

You'd save probably 30lbs going from a stock steel hood to a fiberglass hood. It's just my opinion that it's not worth it.

I also doubt you'd save a whole lot of weight going to fiberglass fenders. The stock outer skin probably only weighs maybe 10lbs if that.

For a daily driver just keep everything steel. In my opinion.

Hmm, that is a good difference. I need to wait and see how many here have done the fiberglass hood or fenders and get their opinions before I decide. I am in no rush at all since I do not plan to start body work and the tear down on this car for at least 4 more months. I would love to drop about 200 pounds off this car from the front end if possible to help in handling. I think with the fiberglass fenders and hood, dropping my 355 in it with aluminum intake, heads, etc and a few front end upgrades such as tubular control arms, etc I believe I can reach the 100-150 pound loss mark. These El Camino's just feel so front heavy when driving, they handle like crap (at least mine does and I know my stock suspension doesn't help). I am hoping that I would be able to feel a difference with losing just 100-150 pounds, if not I will not waste my time and money on fiberglass.
It would be nice to find a nice quality fiberglass hood that doesn't need much body work to get to line up and fit properly. I am VERY picky when it comes to body work and getting my lines straight along with hood and fender contours perfect.

like FE3X CLONE said the glass finish product is not close to an OEM steel hood so be prepared to send some time working on the glass hood...here's a link but the glass parts are made for racing cars and we are not that particular about the look of the car....after all from the stands they don't the ripples on the body

http://www.glasstek.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor