fiberglass inside of doors? opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
i repaired a small rust spot i had on the outer part of the door today. when i was taking the glass out to get it ready for welding i looked at the inside of the door and it is rust free. i was curious on your opinions for an i dea i got.
do you think it would be ok if i coat the inside of the doors with fiberglass resin so in the future when water gets in it, it may help keep them from rusting. after i coat them i will drill out the drain holes so obviosly the water can drain, but what do you guys think? thanks for any opinions.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
I think the time, money, and effort might be better spent putting new seals, felts, etc on the doors instead. If the metal is exposed while you are in there, maybe some cheap rust paint or undercoat paint might help as well.

Personally, with the weight of these doors already causing the door pins to wear out, I wouldn't do much that will increase the weight of them. If you don't care about that, what about the spray-on truck bed liner?

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
If you want a little extra insurance, clean the metal and use Eastwood's Rust encapsulator and/or Rust Converter if needed. It's designed for the application you're describing and it basically a type of paint, so no real extra weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor