finally putting the 400 in the Lemans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey no problem, glad I could help my fellow Pontiac brothers!

nice project dean im from montreal also

Ok, this has been a frustrating week. I got my Jegs crossmember as ordered and I like it. That`s the only good news of the last 2 weeks. We had beautiful weather but I was sick and didn`t get anything done.

This past weekend I finally had decent weather and nothing else to do so I jack up the car another foot to get room to work. laid out a tarp to lie on and proceeded to jack the transmission and remove the factory crossmember. Bolts were a little stuck but not to bad. Insert the new one for a trial fit, seems ok BUT!!!

1st bad news, the new transmission mount that fit perfect with the original x-member no longer fits the new one. The stud has an offset location and I now need one with a center located stud. Shouldn`t be hard to find just a piss-off that the new mount is now useless.

2- I remove the rubber isolators from the factory x-member to transfer them over only to find that the holes in the jegs part are not large enough for the steel sleeves to pass through. large drill bits are at work. :roll:

So I figure I`ll just use the lower isolator, with a nut and flat washer on top of the x-member. Dig through my nut assortement and find 4 nuts, slip the x-member in and ....Oh sh*t, the bolts are too short to go all the way through. Off to the hardware store for longer bolts :x Crawl under the car again, line up the x-member again, slip the bolts in on one side, go to the other side and......let out a vocabulary to make a sailor blush. The holes a 1/4 inch off and do not line up properly!!!! Not a big deal, I just need to hog out the holes a little. Where are my carbide bits? AT WORK WITH THE DRILL BITS!!!!! :evil:

So at this point I have removed the jegs x-member and will fix the holes at work this week. Other than a couple of doodads, I have once again made very little progress in 3 weeks time and my tarp under the car is now all wet because I laid it out before removing the original crossmember and my transmission jack is sitting on top of the tarp, preventing it`s removal.

Hopefully next weekend is nice enough to continue work and pick-up where I left off and maybe things will go together this time.

quote] It's all about the stud lining up with the hole,,,,LOL![/quote]

isn`t it always like that?? lol

Hey Firebuick, welcome to the family. Nice to see another member from around here. Nice pic from Autodrome St-Eustache, haven`t been out there once so far this year. I usually go there a couple of times either for the stock cars or the occational Friday night drags. A couple of friends have some fast cars that hang out there. If you want to see some nice cars, you should come to the open house at JPL performance in laval every June 24th. If the weather is nice, there are easily 100-125 cars on site, a BBQ and lots of burn-outs.
Dean

dean i whent last year to jpl whit my regal and this year whit my daily driver a buick regal 2002

I just went through my pics from JPL last year and I can`t find it. Did you come with the guys from John Scotti? My camera batteries went dead just before they arrived. Forgot to charge them first. I missed it this year while working on the engine swap in the lemans but I have been going there for the past 4 years with my buddy Francois with his brown Malibu. You may have seen it, laying down a huge smoke show every time. We bring an extra set of mounted tires just for this.

Wow Dean! Sounds like the car is being a pain in the *ss. I don't recall having any of the issues with fitment. But we're talking several years ago too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor