Finishing 1 back on another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I think I’m about finished with the little Ram 50 project. The last thing I wanted to add to it was a bed cover so my tool box. spare and jack don’t walk away. Nobody makes a hard cover for these little trucks anymore. I got ahold of Peragon and after talking to their tech department ordered one for a Ranger. It took a few modifications but it now fits and works well.

My grandsons like to come out to the shop and are actually turning into a pair for pretty good helpers (especially the oldest one). I let them install the deadbolt that locks the tailgate from the inside the other day (their hands fit inside the tailgate a lot better than mine LOL.

With the Ram 50 winding down we moved the 37 Dodge back into the shop. The 37 has been an on and off project for the last 10 years or so. The stopping point a year ago was so I could dig up a transmission for it. Things fell into place a couple of months ago when I traded the mockup HEMI and transmission case that was in the truck for a rebuilt/modified overdrive transmission.

After we got the dust blown off it, we got the mockup engine and transmission case out and made room for the real deal to go in.

It’s a 331 (now .060 over) from a 55 New Yorker that’s been rebuilt with a set of vintage NOSR Jahns forged pistons, PAW cam, Weiand Drag Star 6X2 intake (modified for Rochester 2G carburetors) and a set of SS headers. The 46RH transmission was rebuilt with the 47RH (diesel/V10) internals and there is already a B Body Dana 60 with 4.56 gears under the truck. Yeah this one’s pretty much going to be a ticket magnet.

Now that the drivetrain is in I’m hoping the next time the truck leaves the shop it will be under its own power. I still have to do the brakes, cooling system, fuel lines etc. I’ve probably got at least one surgery on my hand/arm coming up so I’m trying to get what I can done prior to being laid up.

For now the plan is to get it running and drive it a bit (kind of an “as found” 60s look), then start doing a bit of body work as I go along and someday blow it apart for paint and body work.

Reactions: 3 users

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Awesome truck man looking good. That 331 fits right in with the looks. Very nice drive train combo too. I would just mount a radiator wheel fenders and head lights.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
lovin it! I've always loved the 30's/40's era trucks, but being 6'4", could never really fit in them... I told my wife if I ever came across one of those old Dodge trucks, it'd be in the yard!

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Progress has been delayed off and on since the last post, I went thru surgery for nerve damage on my arm (still healing but it’s getting better) then another minor surgery near my eye, (also still healing). No accident or anything, I’m just getting old which I’m finding ain’t for the weak.

In spite of all the down time I have made a bit more progress on the 37. The cooling system is done, the wiring’s in, transmission cooler lines built and transmission controller installed. I also got the emergency brakes sorted out, exhaust built and rear bumper built and hung.

I even managed to get the gas tank straps made and sender installed.

After 13 years it’s finally to the point where I can at least start it now instead of just sitting in the cab making engine noises (come on we’ve all done that :whistle: ), Anyway I hooked up some temp battery cables and fuel lines and fired it off yesterday.

I still have to get the service brakes done, connect the fuel system and rebuilt the front suspension before I can actually move it under its own power but at least it’s getting closer.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Mike, you make this look easy and give us amatuers delusions of grandeur! I can't decide now whether I like the Monte Cadino or the Dodge better! I had the original 47RE behind a Cummins with 208K and it worked flawlessly.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
It 's warmed up a bit so I'm back plugging away on the 37. Last week was getting around and redoing the front suspension. The Mustang II front end was already under the truck when I bought it. The previous owner had saved some money by recycling the suspension pieces from a wrecked 76 Mustang II on to the aftermarket cross-member kit. The ball joints and bushings were pretty much junk and I wanted to do a couple of upgrades in the process.

The upgrades I wanted to do included going from the stock size 9" rotors to 11" rotors and adding ride height adjusters so the front end could be raised back up to the correct ride height as the new springs settled (which they will probably do in the first year of use).

In the process of of rebuilding the control arms I found out that I had one badly bent upper control arm I had to find a replacement for.

Installing the adjuster was pretty straight forward.

After I got the adjusters in I test fit the new springs and found out I needed to remove a coil which seemed to get the ride height just right so I tightened up everything and got the alignment reasonably close (it will be going to my friends alignment shop once it moves under its own power). The bigger brakes look a lot more appropriate under the old HEMI too LOL.

One more thing off the list.........once I get the brake and fuel lines run I should be able to actually move under its own power instead of pushing it.

Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad to see you still at it mike! it's looking good, and being a "ticket magnet", I'm sure those bigger brakes will help!

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I've been plugging away getting the 37 ready to move under its own power. I got the brakes finished up then had to move on to getting a bed floor in it. Originally the floor was steel, but somewhere along the line that was cut out and by the time I bought the truck all that was kind of covering the floor was a rotted piece of plywood. Fortunately when they cut the original floor out they did weld in bracing for a new floor.

For now I decided to just go with a wood floor. I plan on driving the truck for a while with this patina while I do body work so I didn't spend a lot of time on finishing the wood. Just a light coat of stain and some Thompson's water seal and called it good.

With the floor in I could get the gas tank in and finish up the fuel system.

Originally the battery was located under the cab floor, but when I ran dual exhaust that pretty much eliminated anyplace under the cab or bed to mount the battery. That left putting the battery in the bed of the truck. I really didn't like the look of a stainless or aluminum battery box (and a plastic one was totally out of the question). I figured an old tool box would not look too out of place in the bed however, so that's what ended up serving as a place for the battery. As it turns out there is even still enough room to put a hand full of tools in it LOL.

I finished up the getting the battery cables installed yesterday and for the first time since I brought it home the 37 moved under its own power.

I just did a couple of laps around the arena and there's still a bunch to do but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
hoestly, I like the look of the boards in there,matches the patina of the truck! Diggin' on the battery box as well!

looking forward to more progress!

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I love the tool box battery box idea. I wish I was that creative. It looks great. It matches the look of the truck perfectly. Congrats on being able to drive it!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor