First Car Project 81 El Camino no Motor or Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeisengart

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2009
St.Pete Florida
I can use all sorts of ideas, and help with my first project. This car I bought for $600.00 as a rolling chass . The last owner had the car stolen from him earlier this year. They stole the motor,tran's rim's and stereo, and of course messed up dash and cut out the engine wire harness.

Attachments

• DSCI0231.JPG
    DSCI0231.JPG
    866.9 KB · Views: 1,502
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,383
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,400

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
nice roller ya got there. do research and hit the books. itll help out alot in the long run. so what ya gonna do with it? street/strip, drag, auto x, daily driver?

eeisengart

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2009
St.Pete Florida
I want to be able to do a little of everything with it. But probably more show. I want to put a 350 in it I think. I'm still making up my mind. Of course money is a factor too.

chpbstrd1

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2009
Nice car,
A 350 w/vortec heads and a mild camshaft makes a nice powerplant. Salvage yards, craigslist and automotive swap meets are on the cheaper side of things. But all used parts sales are "buyer beware". Good luck.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I'll vote 350. Boring, bland and typical, but it will always work when you need it so long as you don't get too stupid. Plus, if this is your first project, it will give you a factory template to work off of instead of trying to engineer it all by yourself. Build something exotic later, for now just concentrate on building something that works. That is difficult enough for most first timers. Over reaching is probably the number one reason that so many project cars never see completion. It is easy to get burned out if you get in to far over your head. Read my build thread if you want to see just how complicated it can get using factory parts-and I know what I am doing.

For the wiring, just pull a complete engine bay harness out of a Chevy V8 engined G body from 1981 and you will be all set. While you are there, grab all the brackets, bolts and pulleys off the same car, and try to keep them together (use tape or sandwich bags, and keep stuff marked!). Take some good cell phone pics before and during the disassembly process. For a complete parts list, read the V6 to V8 swap stickies in the engine swap forum. Just remember that once you have managed to put it together once, you can take it apart at a later time to make it pretty. Most show cars are put together at least twice: Once to mock it up, do fabrication and be sure everything fits, and the next time after the fabrication is complete and everything is detailed. Also, go on E-Bay and buy a complete factory service manual set for your truck..err...car. It is an invaluable source of information when you are trying to put a car together from scratch. Expect to pay between $20 and $100 for the complete 3 book set, but trust me it's worth it.

You may also want to post where you live. That way, it will be easier to network with other board members if they are close to you and know of a good deal on something you need. Plus, they may be willing to help you out if you are willing to return the favor.

svltrack

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2009
It is a nice starter for sure. One thing I have always done whether car or bike is to make a scratch sheet before I start.
Mark stuff off as you go along & make the necessary tweaks. Helps to give you an idea of what you pay & also a great help for any upcoming projects. Having a reference is in my opinion more valuable than money itself on this type of thing. Before I even bought the last 2 rides I had them down on paper for what the rough ideas & costs would be.

On the question of power plant.. 350's are simple & easy to come by though I agree with 85BRO that they are kind of boring. As is true for most everything make sure you complete it front to back. So if you are running 300hp make sure the rest of the driveline will be setup for this. Same thing on suspension, and also for even the appearance. Sleepers are cool but if you want to show the thing then make sure if you do a real power engine that the rest of the vehicle shows it. Match up styling cues from front to back and follow one general scheme through the entire resto.

There is nothing more hillarious than the civic hatchback with two 15" subs in the trunk that are so loud you will need to chew tylenol; but when you get up to the car the headlights are dim & there are no treble heard in the song.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
What a great start! You could take it in any direction you can afford (lol).
Before you do anything, get a plan of what you would want to do. Read, Research, go to car shows, talk to those of us who have done this type of project. Above all, know what you are buying, and be sure it fits your plan (and your car!).
Next, collect your TOOLS, often overlooked, but ya can't build a car without 'em.
Then I suggest you find the local wrecking yards, talk to them, let them know what your plans are and what you are looking for. Also check craigslist/ebay/local swap meets. If you take your time you can find the "right" parts at a great price. I have gone as far as to buy an entire car to get the part(s) I wanted, and then sold off/traded what I did'ent need.

BEST OF LUCK, and keep us posted on you progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor