First Dyno run on my 383.

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Great job and congrats!

Something stands out to me - 6 more degrees of exhaust duration than intake and .020 more lift on exhaust side than intake, AND you mentioned swapping on 1.6 rockers onto the exhaust added 10hp. The 'word on the street' about SBC AFR heads is they have excellent flow on the exhaust side and as a result, generally respond best to a square cam. Hence, I think those heads and cam have ALOT more left in there to be found. I'd like to see what would happen with the cam retarded 2-4 degrees. Maybe it's due to your light compression.

But I do agree with that cam and compression choice for the supercharger aspect of the build. The additional exhaust help is always needed with superchargers :). At 10 psi your going to making well into the 700's and maybe even into low 800's if you can keep the intake temps under control.

Sounds like great fun, and hold on when you get the supercharger on there !!!

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Great job - impressive powerhouse. Please don't take this wrong, just looking at it from a drag racing aspect. You have a little mis-match in your set-up w/ the cam, rear, and heads. The large runner heads are giving you a soft bottom end hence the slow 60ft's. The 3.73's are going to help this and should have you trapping about 56-5700 w/ 26 tall tires. I would also be running a 4000 stall converter to get you in your power band.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Great job - impressive powerhouse. Please don't take this wrong, just looking at it from a drag racing aspect. You have a little mis-match in your set-up w/ the cam, rear, and heads. The large runner heads are giving you a soft bottom end hence the slow 60ft's. The 3.73's are going to help this and should have you trapping about 56-5700 w/ 26 tall tires. I would also be running a 4000 stall converter to get you in your power band.
Thanks Man.....I know I need to change the gears. I have 3.73 gears sitting on the shelve. I also changed the Converter just haven't been back to the track to try it out. It stalls closer to 4,000 where I want it. Thanks for your input I still have tons to learn and im always willing to take advise.

Reactions: 1 user

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Great job and congrats!

Something stands out to me - 6 more degrees of exhaust duration than intake and .020 more lift on exhaust side than intake, AND you mentioned swapping on 1.6 rockers onto the exhaust added 10hp. The 'word on the street' about SBC AFR heads is they have excellent flow on the exhaust side and as a result, generally respond best to a square cam. Hence, I think those heads and cam have ALOT more left in there to be found. I'd like to see what would happen with the cam retarded 2-4 degrees. Maybe it's due to your light compression.

But I do agree with that cam and compression choice for the supercharger aspect of the build. The additional exhaust help is always needed with superchargers :). At 10 psi your going to making well into the 700's and maybe even into low 800's if you can keep the intake temps under control.

Sounds like great fun, and hold on when you get the supercharger on there !!!
I built this engine with plans from the start to boost it. I took this season to learn more about the Fuel injection. Then to see what kinks I may have to Iron out before I bolt it on. So stay tuned for that build!

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings ZZ4CutalSS; & all; You sure can be proud of that package! I'm curious as to the duration @.050". I have a distance -similar (if that makes any sense) engine, 406". A few years ago Popular Hot Rodding did a build that was exactly my engine, AFR 190-195 heads, 10.2 to 1 comp & a cam with 230* -236* @ .050" solid roller ( I forgot the lift, .500"+?). Anyway if memory serves it made 501 HP & 513 Lbs of Torque, so you see your #'s are very good. You have made 1.279 HP per cube, congratulations. I estimate mine to be down around 485 HP (13,000 miles) now, so I'm down around 1.2 HP per cube & I understand how much Care & MONEY it takes to make these numbers. A few weeks ago a young fella on the forum was making 500+ HP from a 350 incher, I had to go get my boots on. Have Fun & ENJOY, Ol'e Bob.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Greetings ZZ4CutalSS; & all; You sure can be proud of that package! I'm curious as to the duration @.050". I have a distance -similar (if that makes any sense) engine, 406". A few years ago Popular Hot Rodding did a build that was exactly my engine, AFR 190-195 heads, 10.2 to 1 comp & a cam with 230* -236* @ .050" solid roller ( I forgot the lift, .500"+?). Anyway if memory serves it made 501 HP & 513 Lbs of Torque, so you see your #'s are very good. You have made 1.279 HP per cube, congratulations. I estimate mine to be down around 485 HP (13,000 miles) now, so I'm down around 1.2 HP per cube & I understand how much Care & MONEY it takes to make these numbers. A few weeks ago a young fella on the forum was making 500+ HP from a 350 incher, I had to go get my boots on. Have Fun & ENJOY, Ol'e Bob.
Thanks and here is the cam information. I have seen 500hp 355 chevys in circle track cars but they are spinning at over 7,000 rpms. I wanted mine to make its power at the low end. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=190&sb=2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor