First Dyno run on my 383.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings ZZ & all; Thanks for the spec card. Once you pressurize this thing it'll be one Extremely Nasty mouse. It's interesting conversation when cams are in the same ball park. As mine has a little less duration & a little more lift @ I.553" & E.565" w/1.5 rockers and @ I .561" & E .573" with my 1.52 Ultra rockers. The solid rollers will handle a little more aggressive lobe than the Hyd roller. Mr Sparks (@ Comp Cams) did mention that my 2004 cam technology has been surpassed! And recommended the new 4 pattern Hyd roller for me, but with only 11,000 miles at the time & the costs, I'm still running 2004 tech. I ended up with more low end torque than the rubber stuffed into stock wheel wells can handle. Drag radials are a necessity! You are probably one step ahead, but I hope that you built a strong bottom end you'll need it. As on my #2 engine I split a main cap right through the bolt hole & I'm naturally aspirated! I'm running Eagle splayed main caps now. And don't forget to narrow the frame rails. You're gonna have a BLAST. Ol'e Bob.

Attachments

• Bryon Malibu Burnout_10.JPG
    Bryon Malibu Burnout_10.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Don't cheap out on the header size. You're going to need 1 7/8 at a minimum and 2 1/4 runners wouldn't be too big IMO. Like I mentioned before, that cam is not helping your NA performance IMHO, but it will be just what the doctor ordered when the supercharger get's bolted on because it will be able to handle getting the hot air out the chambers. If ot were a NA build only, then more overlap would be beneficial.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Greetings ZZ4CutalSS; & all; You sure can be proud of that package! I'm curious as to the duration @.050". I have a distance -similar (if that makes any sense) engine, 406". A few years ago Popular Hot Rodding did a build that was exactly my engine, AFR 190-195 heads, 10.2 to 1 comp & a cam with 230* -236* @ .050" solid roller ( I forgot the lift, .500"+?). Anyway if memory serves it made 501 HP & 513 Lbs of Torque, so you see your #'s are very good. You have made 1.279 HP per cube, congratulations. I estimate mine to be down around 485 HP (13,000 miles) now, so I'm down around 1.2 HP per cube & I understand how much Care & MONEY it takes to make these numbers. A few weeks ago a young fella on the forum was making 500+ HP from a 350 incher, I had to go get my boots on. Have Fun & ENJOY, Ol'e Bob.

Why don't you believe a 350 can't make 500 HP??

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings LiBowTie & all; Oh I believe that a 356" can make that power alright, they made around 700 HP in Cup cars. But it's Very hard to make a natural aspirated 350 w/500 HP behave in traffic (think Power Tour) & maybe have working AC. In outer words a street (road car). Of course that line in the sand of what a "street car" is has been the subject of many a conversations. With no definitive answer because it is in a different place for every individual. Generally to make a 500 HP 350 it will have to turn 7500 RPM & many (possibly the majority) of car guys won't consider a 7500 RPM engine streetable. Meaning you can use it to go places & do things other than just race. Now don't get me wrong as a much younger guy I had to have a 7500 RPM street engine. A stepped on L-78 Rat with few creature comforts. I guess over the years my definition of a street car has migrated to a automobile that can be driven to the drag strip, raced than driven to an auto X event & compete mid pack some where between the trailered race cars & the you name it ( pick up truck -bone stock front drive ?) winter car. And it isn't cheep to make a 350" 500 HP 7500 RPM live for more than a few summers as it will wear it's self out rapidly. I know I've been their. In closing I should add of the first two 406" SB I built, #1 a 6000 RPM'er lived 29,000 before the power fell off & #2 a 6200 RPM'er lasted 28,000 before it ate two main caps (cracked, too much power?). I'm on my #3 now a 6500 RPM'er with 13,000 miles & I've already freshened the upper end, some would say it isn't very streetable. I do have working AC & a modest 700-800 RPM idle in gear (drive). It all comes down to ones perspective, thanks for the conversation, Ol'e Bob.

Attachments

• AutoX2016.JPG
    AutoX2016.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 168
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You might want to put your boots back on - I run a stock 350 short block (L-82 not bored) w/ iron chevy 2.02 heads, comps flat tappet soild cam, Vic Jr w/ 750. It's runs 7.14 in the 1/8th & 11.18 in the 1/4 @ 6200 rpm. Haven't had it on a dyno but those numbers will tell you I'm north of 450 HP

83 regal 013.jpg

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good evening LilBowTie & all; You can be damn proud of those #'s, & you know how much work & bucks it took to get their. I'm sure that you're aware that next 50 HP will come at a greater cost to driveablity, money & work than the previous 50 HP. You've done a great job making 450 HP, that's 1.285 HP per cube, out standing. I'm not sure where the upper limit is on an natural aspirated non advancing cam engine is these days, but you are doing very well with ol'e iron heads & a flat tappet cam. You have given up some ease of driving to attain the Hot Rod you have. I can't wait a few years when you put your mind to turning corners & stopping. Take care have Fun, Ol'e Bob
Ps: We may be stealing this post, sorry.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
If your set up right I'll be looking at your tail lights.
Thanks Man I will do my best...I'm only running Mickey Thompson E/T street drag radials. As long as I heat them up I can hook up. Otherwise I will spin all the way thru my 60ft. But really excited to get it ready for next race season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor