First start up disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyfan16

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2012
Evergreen Park, IL
Ahhh gotcha....I think the valve train rattle I heard was from a lifter bleeding down allowing the pushrod to bounce around. When I was taking it apart I shook a pushrod around the head and it sounded identical. Now to figure out why it was so hot. I had about 40 degrees of advance at idle. If I went either way it started to run rough.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
210* really isn't that hot.
Pretty much any new engine will get warm during break-in...
Put a decent box fan in front of the car while it's running to help with the excess heat while you work on it.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
chevyfan16 said:
Ahhh gotcha....I think the valve train rattle I heard was from a lifter bleeding down allowing the pushrod to bounce around. When I was taking it apart I shook a pushrod around the head and it sounded identical. Now to figure out why it was so hot. I had about 40 degrees of advance at idle. If I went either way it started to run rough.

40 degrees? is your distributer locked out? please say it is.

+1 with the head gasket. get better ones. spend the money.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
chevyfan16 said:
What do you mean locked out? That was me twisting it with the vacuum advance hooked up. Id like to get diff ones but like I said it would throw my quench off.

I think he means is your distributors mechanical advance working. If the timing advances as you speed the engine up from idle then it is. You should set your timing initially with the vacuum disconnected and plugged.

I mean no disrespect, but if you thought it would be ok to reuse the gasket maybe you need some help next time you put your engine back together.

Also if you want more than stock power from your engine don't go cheap on gaskets or you might quickly become an expert on replacing them :) .

Roger

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
FYI: The stock valve spring configuration on an sbc can only handle .480 lift cams safely, I've been told. If it's taller, things need to be adressed. Just from searching catalogs, it seems most rollers are TALL. Besides your head gasket issues. Sealing is ussually more important than quench. Once its runnig again, watch for rocker studs pulling out, if they are still pressed in type. Good luck.

chevyfan16

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2012
Evergreen Park, IL
Damn....some tough love there! I knew I shouldn't have reused it but in the excitement of putting it together I thought id try it. Live and learn! I upgraded my gasket choice and am replacing both, should be running this weekend. My heads can handle more lift and I upgraded my springs and also have screw in studs.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the springs from a ZZ4 engine along with it's roller cam and the vortec heads handle the .474 / .510 lift no problem. BTW vortec heads do not like high lift cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor