First time wagon owner intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
ssbrewskyaz said:
I don't believe any of these cars were built with a point style ignition. I wanna say 73 or 74 was the last year for that stuff. ...

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :wink:
You're absolutely correct, Scott.
These gauges were never in a non-HEI equipped car. I think you're also right about the last years that used points type ignitions.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Maliwagon, welcome. Your wagon is beautiful! I can't really see any license plates in the pics but it looks a lot like Portland. If so, you're covered for emissions equipment. My '79 has a 305 and only has a cat, egr, and charcoal canister. No AIR pump or anything else.
On the transmission front, A 200-4R is practically a bolt-in with the right crossmember. For the T-5, you can get creative and there are several ways to do it. There actually IS a WC version available in the '93 S10 (I have a couple). It bolts to any common GM bellhousing but you'll need to shorten the imput shaft and throwout collar a little. It's not a tough job and doesn't even require transmission disassembly aside from pulling the input shaft out the front. If you don't want to do the input modification, there are spacer plates available online. The spline is 14x1" and there are 10.5" and 11" versions available.
If your carpet is still in decent shape, you could always re-dye it a darker color. Once you have the carpet out of the car, TIde and a scrub brush works wonders for removing stains. Then hit it with a pressure washer. Once it's clean, Rit Dye in a big tub does the trick.

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
Anyone ever buy a transmission from bowtie? 200 4r level 1 caught my eye.

So I do have an HEI distributor. Got a little mixed up. I'm not 100% up to speed on all vehicular nomenclature. I'm either having compatibility issues or the tach is partly fried. I'll try running it without the filter to see what happens. Who knows, it might be defective. Waiting on a tech reps response about the adapter option.

I noticed a wet spot on the carpet floor, passenger side next to the computer kick panel. It had been raining heavy lately. What might be the source of the leak? Door weatherstripping seepage?

Thanks for the input, fellas.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
It could be the door seals. I've also heard if people on here having they're ac box leaking. Keep your eye out over the whole floor. My windsheild, doors, and around my wiper motor leaks.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
:)

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
I do get exhaust fumes leaking in when I turn the vent fan on. Been meaning to take a peek at that.

AndrewMrChevy

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2011
Lima, Ohio
First awesome wagon.

Second I believe the Tach is for a V6 which is why it is reading wrong. V6 typically are 6,000 tachs, while V8 are 8,000 tach readings. There is not adjustment, it would need to be converted to V8. Connect http://www.speedometerplus.com/repair they can get you Tach squared away.

Third, I would put money that your seal/gasket on the A/C box is leaking on the top. Will take some work to pull off the top cover but once sealed you should be golden.

I love your rear cargo area side door covers, pretty hard to fine and of course your power rear door wing windows rock, great wagon!

Attachments

• DSCN0703.JPG
    DSCN0703.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 467

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
Maliwagon said:
Anyone ever buy a transmission from bowtie? 200 4r level 1 caught my eye.

So I do have an HEI distributor. Got a little mixed up. I'm not 100% up to speed on all vehicular nomenclature. I'm either having compatibility issues or the tach is partly fried. I'll try running it without the filter to see what happens. Who knows, it might be defective. Waiting on a tech reps response about the adapter option.

I noticed a wet spot on the carpet floor, passenger side next to the computer kick panel. It had been raining heavy lately. What might be the source of the leak? Door weatherstripping seepage?

Thanks for the input, fellas.

I second that about checking the seal on the upper half of the A/C box. My wagon has a pretty bad rust hole from were the A/C was once serviced and instead of resealing it properly they just ran a small bead of silicone out side the box.

BTW, clean wagon. Congratulations on the score.

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
Second I believe the Tach is for a V6 which is why it is reading wrong. V6 typically are 6,000 tachs, while V8 are 8,000 tach readings.

Yeah, it's gotta be a v6 tach. All I know is I'm not putting any more money into it when I can just buy another one I know will work properly. You're the first person to mention that 6,000 would indicate v6 though. Wish I had known that before getting it.

Is the A/C box the massive thing on the firewall? I would be tempted to just get an Ac delete panel because the last time I tried fixing the gasket on my old malibu the box cracked in a bunch of places while removing it. Had to get the panel but it does look nicer in the engine compartment with all that crap out.

If your carpet is still in decent shape, you could always re-dye it a darker color.
It's a little too foregone. Very worn in the foot area. Plus a new would only be about a buck fifty.

Maliwagon, welcome. Your wagon is beautiful! I can't really see any license plates in the pics but it looks a lot like Portland. If so, you're covered for emissions equipment. My '79 has a 305 and only has a cat, egr, and charcoal canister. No AIR pump or anything else.
My long term goals are to get it a little more in compliance. The 1/4 mile performance components will be replaced with street legal performance ones. Can't do it all in one day on a budget though. Looking for more mpg rather than hp.

In other news I installed a rear sway bar yesterday, a Hellwig 1 incher. Wish everything was an easy bolt-in process.

Nice 83 wagon, Andrew. Battleship grey is a great color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor