First time wagon owner intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMrChevy

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2011
Lima, Ohio
I think like one of the guys posted if you seal the top edge of the A/C Box with a nice clean silicon bead, you might fix the problem and all will be done. I really think you could get the top half off pretty easy and it will not break. just take your times, reseal with Silicon. Some times the top edge of the top cover rots out and now would be a good time to remove and find and fix it.

I have attached the wiring diagram for the G-body instrument pod. Finding the Tach location for proper wiring is easy!

Thanks, still working forward on my wagon. Will be adding Z06 Brake calipers and 2001 S-10 spindled with hubs very soon!

Attachments

• G-Body Instrument Panel.jpg
    G-Body Instrument Panel.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 680
  • Pic 8559.JPG
    Pic 8559.JPG
    559.3 KB · Views: 639

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
Nice looking rim, disk and cal brake. That reminds me maybe someday I'll get some rear disk brakes if I don't run out of money. Haven't had time to get to the water leak but the weather starting to turn a little drier anyways.

New tach is installed. Seems to be working fine after a few hours of troubleshooting. It wasn't responding at all with the tach filter in place. Eventually I hooked the tach directly up to the engine, bypassing everything I could, and lo and behold rpms present. Idling around 600. I floored the gas pedal while parked and it pegged up to ~6,500. Wonder if it was at WOT. Will see what it does on the at highway speeds later. I'm using the 12v and ground that comes off the circuit sheet but I ran my own wire going straight to the tach post on the distributor for the signal. (The factory wire disappears into oblivion.) Gonna try to get a refund on the filter. Not seeing any spikes or bouncyness in the needle at all.

20140408_132327.jpg

Also

I have a transmission in my trunk..but not a dead one. Got a rebuilt 200 4r off of craigslist. Somebody, only 2 hours away, had it rebuilt for a project he ended up selling and never used it. I talked to the transmission shop that did the work for him and they verified it. He had lost the receipt. Unfortunately the warranty isn't transferable though. But for $600 I think I got a bargain. It also came with a transtar gm15 torque converter. Supposed a stock rebuild, but the shop owner said they use higher quality replacement parts. Barring anything like him having dropped it on the ground I'm sure it will work.

The general consensus in other web postings seems to be a stock 200 4r can handle 400 ft lb of torque, which my mild street set up is probably shy of.

20140408_131033.jpg

So I need to find the best transmission shop to install it. There seems to be a good number of them around Portland, Or. I know it will need a new cross member or some kind of extension for the old one. Not sure which is better. It will need tv cable and throttle linkage adapter, a lockup wiring kit, shorter drive shaft, dip stick tube made specifically for the 200. Does anything have to be done the steering column shifter or can that stay the same as the turbo 350 design?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You should be able to reuse the driveline you have now. You can use the column as-is but the indicator won't make sense. Mine doesn't shift into manual low (1st) but It's no big deal to me. YMMV.
What gearing do you have in your rearend? I ended up going to 3.42s in mine and it gave me the same cruise rpm as the 2.29s that were previously in place. You can play with this calculator to find the sweet spot for your combo: http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
Blake442 said:
Driveshaft and slip-yoke are the same.

That would be nice. The less work the better. Not sure which rear gear I have but that's next on the task list. Thanks for that calculator link, Driven. It's a torque vs. highway rpms or power band preference, right?

I know a mechanic familiar with these cars who said he could do the transmission swap for about $400 since I already have the transmission & converter. Unfortunately I have a work trip coming up so it will have to wait a few weeks.

I'll probably buy this lock up kit...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-60110

prf-60110_xl.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Maliwagon said:
It's a torque vs. highway rpms or power band preference, right?
That's right. Figure out where your engine likes to cruise and gear accordingly.

AndrewMrChevy

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2011
Lima, Ohio
Here is the codes to break down your rearend. it is on top of the passenger side of the rearend.

Trans Engine Ratio Peg Leg Ltd Slip Std/Opt
MX2/350C
M31/250C 3.8 (LD5) 2.41 2AJ 2BJ STD
3.08 2AC 2BC OPT
3.23 2AD 2BD OPT
MX2/350C 3.8 (LC8) 3.08 2AC 2BC STD
MX2/350C 4.1 (LC4) 2.41 2AJ 2BJ STD
MV4/350C
MV2/350C 5.7 (LF9) 2.29 2AH 2BH STD
MV4/350C
MV2/350C 4.3 (LT6)
Diesel 2.41 2AJ 2BJ STD
2.56 2AA 2BA Hi Alt STD

Gear
Ratio Ring
Gear Assembly Codes
2.41 7.5" RB, CC, AJ, AM, BM, CG, BJ, RZ, CH, AZ, BZ, CU, CK, CX
2.56 7.5" RC, CE, AA, CN, BA, CI, AY, CV, BY, RY, CL, CY
2.73 7.5" RD, CD, AB, AL, BL, CR, BB, RX, CJ, AX, CW, BX, CM, CZ
2.93 7.5" RE, AG, BG, RW, AW, BW
3.08 7.5" RF, AC, BC, RV, AV, BV
3.23 7.5" RG, AD, BD, RU, AU, BU
3.42 7.5" AE, RK, BE
3.73 7.5" AF, BF

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
Got two front seat head rests at the junkyard yesterday. The bench seat currently lacks them but through the upholstery you can feel the slot the post would slide into. I just have to find some matching material to redo the head rests, which are faded blue cloth. The bench is beige imitation leather. Not sure if there's a special way I should cut the hole and stitch it back.

Thanks for the info, Andrew. I'll check it out tomorrow

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
I'm installing a vacuum gauge. Tested it out and it read 25. At normal atmosphere it does not go down to 0 though; it settles at 4. Seems off and it is a cheaper model but at least I should know if/when vacuum leak occurs.

vdo-150302_w.jpg

Maliwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2014
Update: sent back the broke vacuum gauge and received a good one in return. Now it zeros out with the engine off.

I'm planning on installing an air/fuel ratio gauge. Should help with tuning the carb.
I bought a gauge from Glowshift along with a narrowband o2 sensor to hook it up to...

I'm also in the process of properly wiring up the electric choke to a switched power source and through an oil pressure switch so it only supplies power when engine is running. I have a 10 amp fuse inline with it. I bought a type ps64 oil press sender. The previous owner had wired to the batt poistion of the dist coil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor