For those of you over 30 lol you will like this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
87LS/88SS said:
I remember having the cable box that had a dial on it, and the numbers went from 1-99 (or something like that). My grand father would get pissed when I would change the channel fast. He would say do it slower so you don't mess it up, lol.

That wasn't a cable box it was the controller for an antenna.

We didn't have computers until I was in high school and it wasn't windows or anything like that. You had to write the code in BASIC language.

I remember the 'brick' phone but that was after high school.

Lot's of advancement since then.

Holograms oh yeah... I remember I was little then. Basic computer language I remember them trying to teach us that in school... I was of course daydreaming for that!

Nice vacuum... it still works huh? I know these new ones now no way 30 years later they'll be around and functional.

Ahhh the good not so old days!

TexasT said:
87LS/88SS said:
I remember having the cable box that had a dial on it, and the numbers went from 1-99 (or something like that). My grand father would get pissed when I would change the channel fast. He would say do it slower so you don't mess it up, lol.

That wasn't a cable box it was the controller for an antenna.

We didn't have computers until I was in high school and it wasn't windows or anything like that. You had to write the code in BASIC language.

I remember the 'brick' phone but that was after high school.

Lot's of advancement since then.

No, that was a cable box, we had one of those too, huge dial in the middle, woodgrain case. ugly things.

how about:
when cars were considered worn out with 100k miles?

when suggested oil changes were 7500 miles, and a filter every other oil change?

when a tune up included rebuilding the carb, pulling the distributor and testing for "point bounce" on a SUN tester?

do some of you even know what "points" on a car is without a compass?? :lol:

when HEI ignition systems were confusing mechanics?

when a "ricer" was considered a yamaha or honda motorcycle?

man I feel old, and I'm only 42! :mrgreen:

I still use a Kirby Tradition vacuum in my house. It's a beast, but after nearly 30 years it still works great! As for points, I may know what they are, but have no idea how to set them up. My neighbor and I were pondering this the other day with his 1973 Fiat 850 Spyder (with the water cooled engine in the back!). He's in his 60's and I am in my 30's, but neither of us remembered how to set the dwell! (Oh, and he has a Kirby vac too, but his is over 40 years old-it even has the saw and drill attachments!). I can even remember when Nissans were called Datsuns ( and know why), and when they changed. I also remember learning to use a computer on an IBM XT, the first IBM clones, and even had a Commodore VIC-20. As for roll up windows, every new car I have ever owned has had them as I tend to get very basic cars to keep them cheap. You can still get crank windows on cheap cars, but they are getting scarce. In fact, only my Cutlass and my second Sentra have had power windows or locks.

mybigwarwagon said:
I remember our first color TV. The first thing I recall watching on it was Popeye. I was amazed at it. And yes I was the remote. I remember standing beside the TV while my dad said,"next.....next.....next" and I turned the dial.

HAHAHA, I know the feeling.
Turn it on this Gunsmoke is on.
Turn it to this, I love Lucy, Star Trek etc etc etc was on.

Then its totally sad that Bugs Bunny and Road Runner were removed from broadcast airwaves a few years back because they promote "toooooooo much violence" so they say.

Hahahaha! Love the old Kirby vacuums. Boy were those things noisy, but powerful. I do remember changing points and condensors, setting the gap (and dwell) on cars and outboard motors.

I also remember watching Howdy Doody, Andy's Gang, Captain Kangaroo, etc. on black and white TV.
Went to custom car shows at the NY Coliseum and saw cars like the Munster Koach, Dragula, Bat Mobile, Beatnick Bandit, and other fine customs by the likes of Barris, Ed Roth, Starbird, Winfield, etc.
How about weirdo sweat shirts?

Pass that bottle of Just For Men.... :lol: :lol:

Jack (card carrying AARP member)

NY87SS said:
Then its totally sad that Bugs Bunny and Road Runner were removed from broadcast airwaves a few years back because they promote "toooooooo much violence" so they say.

LOL. No, it wasn't quite that sinister. Turner bought up the rights to broadcast them, moved them over to TBS, then Cartoon Network, then to Boomerang, until they started selling them on DVD, which AFAIK is the only way to get them now (unedited BTW), unless your local station still broadcasts some of their reels that never got re-registered with the copyright office back in the day....

...Back on topic.... what about:

Encyclopedias, Card Catalogs, the Dewey Decimal System, do they still teach this stuff?
TV Shows or Movies that only came on *once* in a given year, The Wizard of Oz, The Grinch, Charlie Brown specials. If you missed it you were SOL til next year.
Those little LED handheld games from Sears or whatever. The football one especially. Go right, left, or up the middle!
When "impact calibration" of your TV still worked.
Your TV or Radio had to "warm up" because it had tubes still, and it was a matching piece of furniture...
VHS cameras that required a separate deck for the tape, and the camera was still huge.
Typing class... with real genuine typewriters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor