Ford 9inch install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
did you put it together on the bench and check the rotating torque on the pinion before you installed it into the car?
I did not. The preload and everything was done by QP, I saw no reason to do it myself. The pattern on the teeth was where it needed to be.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Assuming you ran it with the stock proportioning valve, was there a noticeable difference with valve designed for rear discs? Where did you get it?
I never ran it with the stock one. Changed it before I ever drive the car for the first time.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I did not. The preload and everything was done by QP, I saw no reason to do it myself. The pattern on the teeth was where it needed to be.

anyone can miss something so I think it's a good reason to check thing at each step so I can stop if I encounter a problem before it goes in the car...I hope it is just the brakes dragging. This may be a dumb question but you don't meantion putting rear end lube in it...

Reactions: 1 user

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
anyone can miss something so I think it's a good reason to check thing at each step so I can stop if I encounter a problem before it goes in the car...I hope it is just the brakes dragging. This may be a dumb question but you don't meantion putting rear end lube in it...
I solved this issue months ago lol
It was my brake calipers dragging on the inside of my wheels. I purchased wheel spacers and took care of it. Then ended up getting different wheels where it wasn't an issue at all.
Yes I put lube in it. Its had several fluid changes since I posted this, as well as a couple thousand miles and a dozen passes at the track.
Zero issues whatsoever aside from my own ignorance.

Reactions: 2 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Hay longroof, I just put a Q/P in my malibu everything look pretty much the same except the brake calipers . looking at it you're calipers set in front of the axle and mine are behind the axle are you're bleeders on top?:cool:

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Sorry it took me awhile to reply.
A few things I found a video on YouTube of a guy assembling one and used that for help.
Other things I just winged it lol. It's pretty straightforward.
And I ordered the kit with the Disks included. And later installed a proportioning valve designed for these cars to use with rear disks.

All good! I appreciate the response. I Ordered the rear with the 12" wilwood disc brake kit and the parking brake inside. I think the next problem I have to face is what size rim can fit over that brake set up! Thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 user

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Well 64nailhead, looks like I'll be the one buying the cold one.
I finally got a chance to pull it apart today. Pulled the wheels off and low and behold, the disk brake caliper was rubbing on the inside of the wheel.
I obviously didn't check it as thoroughly as I should have. It was just almost impossible to spot on the ground.
Sorry I even posted this post. I should have done a little more investigation. I guess my mind just jumps to complicated conclusions when something unexpected happens.
I appreciate all the help guys. Thanks for putting up with a new member/ self proclaimed idiot lol.

You're like me...because whenever something happens to my car, I rush straight to GBF. I start thinking my engine is about to blow up when it's just a damn exhaust leak from a failed gasket. I'm grateful to have this forum.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Hay longroof, I just put a Q/P in my malibu everything look pretty much the same except the brake calipers . looking at it you're calipers set in front of the axle and mine are behind the axle are you're bleeders on top?:cool:
Mine were actually originally mounted in the back (bleeder on bottom) and I couldn't get them to bleed right. Switched to the front with the bleeder on top and finally got it bleed

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
You're like me...because whenever something happens to my car, I rush straight to GBF. I start thinking my engine is about to blow up when it's just a damn exhaust leak from a failed gasket. I'm grateful to have this forum.
Yeah sometimes panic sets in and logic goes out the window lol. I'm trying to get better about that

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor