Ford 9inch install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Just because the brakes aren't hooked up doesn't mean they aren't locked up.

As 565bbchevy mentioned, take one part off at a time and re-check. My money is on a brake catching the side of a drum or similar with a rotor. I'm guessing that when it was spinning freely on the ground you didn't have any rims/wheels bolted on.

If I'm wrong, then I'll buy you a cold one :)

Well 64nailhead, looks like I'll be the one buying the cold one.
I finally got a chance to pull it apart today. Pulled the wheels off and low and behold, the disk brake caliper was rubbing on the inside of the wheel.
I obviously didn't check it as thoroughly as I should have. It was just almost impossible to spot on the ground.
Sorry I even posted this post. I should have done a little more investigation. I guess my mind just jumps to complicated conclusions when something unexpected happens.
I appreciate all the help guys. Thanks for putting up with a new member/ self proclaimed idiot lol.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well, at least you figured it out and luckily wasn't anything internal.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No need to be sorry about it. Ask me how I guessed that - been there and done that, several times in fact. You might have to shim the brake shoe/caliper bracket.

I once put 4th Gen Camaro rear discs onto a 7.5" GM housing. I had to take new 12" rotors and make them 11" diameter and cut more than 1/8" from each surface to get the S10 caliper bracket and calipers to clear.

p.s. - let me know when you'll be by for the beer :)

Reactions: 2 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Don't feel bad I did the same thing on are Shelby. The new wheels looked good , just didn't roll well. :blam:

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Well 64nailhead, looks like I'll be the one buying the cold one.
I finally got a chance to pull it apart today. Pulled the wheels off and low and behold, the disk brake caliper was rubbing on the inside of the wheel.
I obviously didn't check it as thoroughly as I should have. It was just almost impossible to spot on the ground.
Sorry I even posted this post. I should have done a little more investigation. I guess my mind just jumps to complicated conclusions when something unexpected happens.
I appreciate all the help guys. Thanks for putting up with a new member/ self proclaimed idiot lol.

Hey, I'm somewhat new on the forum and I started doing some research tonight. I have the 9" from quick performance as well. Where did you have luck finding information on assembly? Did you change to disc in the back? Did you get a proportioning valve? I am excited to assemble but have not done one of these before!

Thanks

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Hey, I'm somewhat new on the forum and I started doing some research tonight. I have the 9" from quick performance as well. Where did you have luck finding information on assembly? Did you change to disc in the back? Did you get a proportioning valve? I am excited to assemble but have not done one of these before!

Thanks
Sorry it took me awhile to reply.
A few things I found a video on YouTube of a guy assembling one and used that for help.
Other things I just winged it lol. It's pretty straightforward.
And I ordered the kit with the Disks included. And later installed a proportioning valve designed for these cars to use with rear disks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
QP did. I ordered the complete kit that came with 3rd member, housing, axles and disk brakes. All I had to do was put it all together

did you put it together on the bench and check the rotating torque on the pinion before you installed it into the car?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
And I ordered the kit with the Disks included. And later installed a proportioning valve designed for these cars to use with rear disks.

Assuming you ran it with the stock proportioning valve, was there a noticeable difference with valve designed for rear discs? Where did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor