Ford Alternator Diagnosing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
So on my Ford truck (been my main priority lately if you don't already know) I'm still having some charging issues. I think I know what's going on but I want to know if anyone can agree or disagree with me.

Ford 3G 95 amp alternator.

Alternator had slip rings cleaned and brushes replaced two months ago. Alternator shop tested the alternator and it tested good a couple weeks ago.

I woke up to a dead battery. Totally dead, completely flat. So I charged up the battery and reinstalled it. Then the battery light was on. It flickers off amd on occasionally. The idle is lower than normal or at least it seems (no tach). So I did some testing.

With the ignition in the on position, I backprobed the green exciter wire, and it only reads 2.5 volts. I tested for continuity in the yellow/white wire and it is good.

When I unplug the voltage regulator connector, and check voltage at the exciter wire on the connector it reads a full 12 volts.

I assume this means the problem is inside the voltage regulator or alternator. Does this mean that the voltage regulator is bad, since the alternator was just gone through? Any input would be appreciated.

another3g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor