Ford guy with a malibu-east TN-PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fomoco71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2009
Sharps Chapel, TN
As you can see by my username, I've been Ford pretty much my whole life. Had an '80 malibu sbc(sounded wicked, weaker n my wifes 250k v6 Celebrity for some reason),'78 Cutlass sbc, '77 Impala 2dr fastback sbc,'78 Olds Delta88-bbo, and an '84 Cutlass(vsik). Other than those it's been mostly Mavericks/Comets and '70s Ford trucks. My current projects are a '72 Comet w/roller cam 302, a '77 F150 w/460, and a '75 F100 w 300 six(for now). And now I have a Malibu.

I've always admired the simple, clean lines of the '78-83 Malibus, I think they make killer street cars. They are also about the only GM cars I like that I can afford too. I don't want to deal with the rust on '67-72 trucks(love that body truck), and '66 Malibus are WAAAY outta my tax bracket. I let the '80 go because I had too much in it and it was an absolute slug. I had a '79 roller a few years back, sold it and regretted it pretty quick as the body was arrow straight & had a nice set of Prostars/BFG drag radials on it. Oh well.

Ok, so my wife gets this fetish for Pontiac Fieros. We buy an '87 v6/5spd car. And later trade a couple of my projects for an '86 v6/auto car(this one supposedly had a 3.4 swapped in instead of the 2.8). The '86 turns out to be a late model version of a "junk hot rod". A/C bypassed, no horn, wipers worked sometimes, it died for no apparent reason, just needing stuff I couldn't put my heart into. She couldn't either, told me to do whatever with it. You know, there isn't many people in east TN who like Fieros. No luck on CL, it bid up to $760 on Ebay(not enough). Sooo....

I see this pretty good looking '78 Malibu appear about 5-6 miles from the house on the side of the road with a home made for sale sign. I figure there's no way I can afford it, but I stop anyway. Turns out she(owner was a single mom)wanted $1200 for it, the engine was knocking. I called to see about the possibility of a trade on the '86 Fiero. She says she'd like to look at it. I drive it over, her male companion & me take it out the road & back, I tell them all the stuff it needs and we ended up trading even.

Normally, when you trade a running driving car for one you gotta haul you're going in the hole. But I think I did ok;
A '78 malibu 2dr Landau
Carmine w/nice red interior
61k (looks to be original)
no rust(even the vinyl top looks good)
'85-87 Monte SS aluminum wheels
all the original manuals/spare tire info/warranty papers,bla,bla
the build sheet
3.3 (200) chevy v6-it wants out, I hear it knocking
2.73 gears(hey, all the others I had came with 2.29s)

Originally, I had planned on a '70 truck 350/t350 combo. This motor/trans I've known since they were new.. my grandfather's '70 pickup has this still in it. But it's got close to 200k on it and I haven't started it in 5-6 years. It needs an overhaul. To do it right will require some bucks/time sooo......

I'm going to do something that most Chevy guys probably won't like. I got a killer(I think)deal on an olds 455/t400. They're out of a '75-76 98 Regency with about 75k on it. Got the motor/trans complete(even got a new alternator on it and the A/C compressor's still there too)from quadrajet to oilpan for $200. I'm thinking new transmission seals, maybe a shift kit, and a fresh tune up on the motor and it should be ready to rock. Not wanting a race car, but the 455 and 2.73s should still be entertaining. And the car will not sound too mean, 'cause the motors stock. My old Delta 88 ran 9.60s with a junk 455/t350 and 2.41 rear. I'd hope the little Malibu will turn some 9.40s or so since it's a bit lighter.1/8 mile times of course. Hey, when times are better I'd like to find an '81-87 Cutlass to put this in & put the 350 in the Malibu and then things would be "correct"(to me) but for now I just want the Malibu up & running. Sorry for the long post, it's late, I'm rambling,goodnite!

Attachments

• 78 malibu interior.jpg
    78 malibu interior.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 484
  • 78 malibu drivers.jpg
    78 malibu drivers.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 466
  • 78 malibu driver rear.jpg
    78 malibu driver rear.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 469

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Re: Ford guy with a malibu-east TN

I like the 455/th400 idea. You did get them dirt cheap. I'm a die-hard Chevy guy but my buddy who helps me with my motors is a Ford mechanic who builds Fox body drag cars. We can all get along together fine if we just realize cars are cars no matter who makes them. I don't hate you for putting the Buick in either. I actually kind of think it'd be interesting to throw a BBB in my Monte but would think putting a BBC in would be a better use of my personal time. I suppose that's preference. I personally feel like you'll want a little more aggressive gears than those 2.73s although it depends on if you want to spend the time/money to swap them. Welcome to the forum!

fomoco71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2009
Sharps Chapel, TN

Thanks. It's an Olds instead of a Buick though. If I get really serious with this car as far as racing goes, I'll probably just ditch the rear & put a 9" in it. I figure the 2.73s oughta be ok for all around driving, the 455s torque should cancel out the lack of gearing :wink: .

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

OH right you said Olds(Olds/Pontiac/Buick...there's a difference lol?). Ya the torque might cancel out the gears but maybe not the stock torque converter. Switching from my 2.29s to 3.42s really helped but what helped the most is getting a higher stall converter. I think you're project would benefit from getting around a 1800-2000 stall torque converter. They aren't too expensive and I think it would be just enough stall speed for the street especially if you're running a more aggressive than stock cam. Just my two cents I suppose

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY

fomoco71 said:
Thanks. It's an Olds instead of a Buick though. If I get really serious with this car as far as racing goes, I'll probably just ditch the rear & put a 9" in it. I figure the 2.73s oughta be ok for all around driving, the 455s torque should cancel out the lack of gearing :wink: .
im running a 9" with disk in my g-body and its awesome night and day difference ,even if you use 3.00 gears to cruz you be able to swap out 3rd members in 30 min to hit the track .being a ford guy i bet you have 90% of the stuff already

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Welcome!

Just thought I would let you know that it would be a very good time to replace the timing chain. The teeth are made out of nylon and do not last long. If it is worn down, expect to find a bunch of nylon chunks in your oil pan and pick up screen. My 70 350 still had the nylon chunks in the pan even though the timing chain was replaced.

fomoco71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2009
Sharps Chapel, TN

Thanks guys for the welcome. I've been lurking a short time here & over at Maliburacing.com and I keep reading about a custom double hump crossmember that I'll supposedly need for the T400 trans. Anyone know about this part-where to get it & how much it cost? Are there any junkyard alternatives(got a pull-a-part in Knoxville)? In going cheapo on the exhaust, it's gonna run stock manifolds with probably 2.25" pipes & generic turbo type mufflers. Mellow, I don't want it loud.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

fomoco71 said:
Thanks guys for the welcome. I've been lurking a short time here & over at Maliburacing.com and I keep reading about a custom double hump crossmember that I'll supposedly need for the T400 trans. Anyone know about this part-where to get it & how much it cost? Are there any junkyard alternatives(got a pull-a-part in Knoxville)? In going cheapo on the exhaust, it's gonna run stock manifolds with probably 2.25" pipes & generic turbo type mufflers. Mellow, I don't want it loud.

You can notch out the factory crossmember, that is probably your cheapest option. I believe these are the most expensive ones, http://www.crossmembers.com/g-body.htm . Jegs also has them for a decent price. I have heard pretty good things about these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-Body-M ... 2ea85828f0

You will need to purchase a frame extension since yours does not have the holes for the crossmember. You will also need a different drive shaft yolk and I believe it needs to be shortened.

I would definitely go with a larger exhaust, at least 2.5". You can get a Pypes x-pipe system for around $300, not sure if 3" would be more or not.

fomoco71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2009
Sharps Chapel, TN
Got some pics in my first post now. Kinda small but it'll give an idea what it looks like. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor