Forum advice for my car

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
I need honest advice on what would be the best rear end to run in my Cutlass. I currently have a 7.5 with a Eaton style posi unit with 4.10 gears. That's all behind a built TH350 and 2,500 stall that's on a 450~500 hp Oldsmobile 350. I don't want to blow the rear sky high and at one point I was all sold on beefing up the rear end and not worrying but now with the power and that I want to take it to the strip a few times a year and then drive it home from there I'm concerned about the future of it. I really don't want to go with a 9 inch because I've already spent a lot on this car but at the same time I'm all for doing it right. With a 12 sec potential car, I'm just worried.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
An honest 500hp Olds 350 is rare and expensive. Care to share the build specs and dyno sheets?

A 7.5 will hold up pretty well without blowing "sky high." If you can afford a 500hp Olds build, shelling out for a 9" shouldn't be an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
Fair enough, I like using figures of speech.
I can't say the exact power because I haven't dynoed the engine yet but the guy that helped me with the build and the specing of it, he swears by that number and obviously I can't say that it's what the engine makes but I would rather have something on the side of not worrying about it blowing in the future when I can't afford to fix it. And anyways when you built an engine after years of saving and now you're trying to save for the future I don't see why it hurts to save and look into other options.

Last edited:

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm running a Strange Engineering S60. Actually a DANA 60 type center made by Strange. They make them as complete bolt-in for G Bodies. They made the ends to be able to fit the 2002 Camaro Disks I'm running.

Attachments

• S60 Installed (3).jpg
    S60 Installed (3).jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 50

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
keep sticky tires off it and it'll live longer than you think.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Concur with Driven and Melloelky. Avoid sticky tires. Buicks require lots of work to rev durably. What's your driveshaft made of? The rear may not be the limiting factor until it's been abused.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
What gearing is in you diff Metz? An Olds 350 is pretty torquey. The HP or the ET is not what loads or breaks rears. It's open differentials that are super hard on spider gears, drag strip launches with glue and slicks.
In my opinion the 8.5 is the perfect rear for an 11 or 12 sec G body. That price from the Hurst Olds will be sold before you can get there. It's price way below market value.

A S60 is way too much $$ for a 12 sec car and they are pretty heavy. Ford 9" are not efficient, which is not a deal breaker when a rear just has to be strong but it will slowdown a 12 sec car. Plus they are only good as a spool. The pocket bearing in a 9" forces you to run a tiny differential.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I need honest advice on what would be the best rear end to run in my Cutlass. I currently have a 7.5 with a Eaton style posi unit with 4.10 gears. That's all behind a built TH350 and 2,500 stall that's on a 450~500 hp Oldsmobile 350. I don't want to blow the rear sky high and at one point I was all sold on beefing up the rear end and not worrying but now with the power and that I want to take it to the strip a few times a year and then drive it home from there I'm concerned about the future of it. I really don't want to go with a 9 inch because I've already spent a lot on this car but at the same time I'm all for doing it right. With a 12 sec potential car, I'm just worried.
this aint exact video was lookin for but 7.5s might not be lost hope. chances are 28 splines were put in.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
What gearing is in you diff Metz? An Olds 350 is pretty torquey. The HP or the ET is not what loads or breaks rears. It's open differentials that are super hard on spider gears, drag strip launches with glue and slicks.
In my opinion the 8.5 is the perfect rear for an 11 or 12 sec G body. That price from the Hurst Olds will be sold before you can get there. It's price way below market value.

A S60 is way too much $$ for a 12 sec car and they are pretty heavy. Ford 9" are not efficient, which is not a deal breaker when a rear just has to be strong but it will slowdown a 12 sec car. Plus they are only good as a spool. The pocket bearing in a 9" forces you to run a tiny differential.
Yes the S60 is expensive and it is heavy compared to others. Depending on ratio, posi unit and brake setup it will get between 4-5k easily.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor