found a posi for my wagon. thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
i was on craigslist and came across a complete 10 bolt posi with a 7.5 gear. its got a 3:73 gear, rear drag shocks and a sway bar still attached which i needed anyways. all its missing i the drums which i have. all for $150. i know everyone wants the 8.5 gear but im not going to have no more than 490 hp so it should work. if i do then obviously ill upgrade too something bigger. i figure if i put moser axels, and a diff cover with the brace it should hold up. let me know your thoughts.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
James,
It doesn't sound like a bad deal, providing all the internals are in good shape. Gears, posi unit, etc. On the other hand, it's got drag shocks... was thing used and abused?
Those gears are going to kill your highway driveability , unless that's not a factor...or you're going with an overdrive trans.
I'd say, if everything is in good shape, that is a good deal. Perhaps you can have him open up the cover and take a look-see inside.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Ya, depends on your intents. What kind is it? I put a Detroit in mine, I've got a SUPER tall gear (2.56?) I think. If yours is an Eaton, check the clutch pack before you install. Check the axle bearing area. For a buck Fifty, it sounds like a good deal, but pop the cover and have a look see before cashing him! The stocker rear ends are'nt good for drag racing, but if you are conservative on your launches and don't shock load the gear, they last just fine.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
its an older guy and he said its in good working order. im not going to be drag racing it. it might go to the track to see what the car does but my goal is to do autocross or parking lot racing. maybe a street race or so. im definetly going to pull the cover off but i pretty sure its a factory unit. also i was wrong about the drag shocks , its gots sum summit performance replacements. the gear is a little taller then i want but the money im saving i can put the gear i want in. 3:42 but it might work out and i may keep it in. thanks for the input guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor