FOUND my 400sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Get your money back if you can.
Or
Strip it completely down and have it hot tanked and see what the machinist says about the piston and lifter bores.

Reactions: 2 users

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
Get your money back if you can.
Or
Strip it completely down and have it hot tanked and see what the machinist says about the piston and lifter bores.
Yeah I doubt that’ll happen. I had to drive 3 hour there and back for the motor he was asking 550, for it ended up getting it for 540

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Looks like OE style dished pistons so there might be enough meat @ the cylinder wall to bore it out for possible use. If they are stock pistons, it likely still has stock 5.565" (short OE 400) rods. The rods would work for a budget build but most prefer 5.7 (350ci) rods instead. Each possibility requires different pistons. You don't know until it makes it to a machine shop.

If you're avoiding machine shops, what you purchased might be viewed as an expensive lesson which sucks. Where are you on the map??

Reactions: 1 users

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
Looks like OE style dished pistons so there might be enough meat @ the cylinder wall to bore it out for possible use. If they are stock pistons, it likely still has stock 5.565" (short OE 400) rods. The rods would work for a budget build but most prefer 5.7 (350ci) rods instead. Each possibility requires different pistons. You don't know until it makes it to a machine shop.

If you're avoiding machine shops, what you purchased might be viewed as an expensive lesson which sucks. Where are you on the map??
Well I actually have stock rods out of a 350. I called a machine shop that said they could got tank it for me for 50$ not too bad I guess.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
It’s a core. Begin a full rebuild that engine isn’t running again. And if it does it’ll be a smoker.

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Well I actually have stock rods out of a 350. I called a machine shop that said they could got tank it for me for 50$ not too bad I guess.
Getting a quote to hot tank, check for issues/cracks, & measure the bore is a good start.

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
It’s a core. Begin a full rebuild that engine isn’t running again. And if it does it’ll be a smoker.
I hate to say it but I think your right. Huy told me he was able to crank it over by hand using a bar. I can’t get it to turn for sh*t.
Getting a quote to hot tank, check for issues/cracks, & measure the bore is a good start.
I checked the in between the steam holes where they usually crack. No cracks so the block has tj at going for it ahaha

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020

I’m in North west indiana

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
He was probably able to turn it over with a bar 10 years ago when he stored it.

Sorry, dude. That's a core...hopefully. it's going to need everything. The good news is now you can build it to be whatever you want. If the block and crank can be machined and saved, the only limitation is your budget. Keep us posted.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I checked the in between the steam holes where they usually crack. No cracks so the block has tj at going for it ahaha
I'd definitely pay for a magnaflux with the hot tank to check those areas too. Never know if there small stuff compromising integrity you eye doesn't pick up

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor