Frame notch for low mount AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Truck or car accessories?

There gmt360 pump (tbss) and mount clears without a notch from what I've seen.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
First of all, best to use an aftermarket compressor, as factory LS compressors are variable output. They can be made to work with older system, but tend to prematurely fail.
Nothing wrong with properly cutting & reboxing a spot in the frame for a little extra room.
I cut & reboxed behind the idler for factory compressor. The sanden I swapped to was a bit smaller. Also a small cut & rebox for one of the lines for factory f-body compressor, which sanden didn't need..
Reminder that not all ls swaps are positioned exactly the same & there were about 3 different belt positions in front/rear spacing between different ls models.
DSC00601.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00600.JPG
    DSC00600.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 226
Reactions: 2 users

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
I am going to be running a LSA supercharger off corvette spacing, lower mount AC is looking at my only option. I am not interested in running any of the aftermarket accessory drives at this time.

Reactions: 1 users

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
I am going to be running a LSA supercharger off corvette spacing, lower mount AC is looking at my only option. I am not interested in running any of the aftermarket accessory drives at this time.
As jl said, there is nothing wrong with notching the frame. You just have to make sure you put the strength back in by welding a new piece of metal in there to reinforce where you cut. The best way to make the patch would be to make it from one piece of metal and make it curved instead of making sharp bends. It will be stronger that way. After all, if the factory wanted clearance there they would have stamped a curved indentation there.

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Truck or car accessories?

There gmt360 pump (tbss) and mount clears without a notch from what I've seen.
What is gmt360 pump (tbss)? Certain make and year? I’m also looking for a compressor that will work with truck accessory mounts. Mine won’t clear the Holley mounts by a long shot.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
What uneek 1976 said matches what I said about my aftermarket I swapped to having plenty more clearance than f- body compressor. I got steel mounts from BRP (Brewers Restoration &Perf. Forget which model of older Sanden I got, had 4 ears, had to cut off 2.
Again, g-bodies vary from one to another as do individual LS swap locations, so no full guarantees here.
Another discussion on this. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1922911-low-mount-ac-closest-block.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor