Frame restoration questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
One of my largest problems with the wire brush is that it actually provides very little tooth for a product a stick to. make it makes it too shiny there's little mechanical adhesion to be had.does it work?sure but..

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Personally, I get my frames blasted, use epoxy primer, and a good frame/chassis paint. I no longer use por-15 for anything. you could also get it blasted and use a Direct To Metal (DTM) coating,. such as those from ppg (like Durathane) that are used in the commercial business. I've used the red and black DTM on suspension parts with great success.

Everyone has a way, pick a way you comfortable with and/or can afford and good luck!

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Although I absolutely HATE that waxy crap, there's only one way to properly restore a G-body to factory stock. And that's with waxy crap.

Short of dipping it into a vat, this looks to be the easiest way to get the stuff.

Still contemplating it, though. But I still despise that garbage.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Although I absolutely HATE that waxy crap, there's only one way to properly restore a G-body to factory stock. And that's with waxy crap.

Short of dipping it into a vat, this looks to be the easiest way to get the stuff.

Still contemplating it, though. But I still despise that garbage.

I would get the pail of the waxy stuff instead of the aerosol version. Aerosol stuff usually usually crappier formulations and are best suited for just quick spot repairs.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe, but I'm sure you can make it look really crappy using the aerosol, which would match the original, crappy looking stuff. I mean, how much crappier can you make it look? Runs, blotches, just general crapply appearance was the norm. Jury's still out on it and until it actually has to get coated, the decision would be made then. Maybe I can get some sloppy looking satin black and spray it on thick and heavy to mimic that crappy wax look?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Maybe, but I'm sure you can make it look really crappy using the aerosol, which would match the original, crappy looking stuff. I mean, how much crappier can you make it look? Runs, blotches, just general crapply appearance was the norm. Jury's still out on it and until it actually has to get coated, the decision would be made then. Maybe I can get some sloppy looking satin black and spray it on thick and heavy to mimic that crappy wax look?

Not just look crappier, they also adhere and perform crappier too. Aerosol coatings are super thinned out and generally provides poorer protection than similar stuff sprayed out of a air gun which tends to be less thinned. Furthermore aerosol applied coatings tend to be really soft as well. Aerosol coatings including paint tends to just be garbage, even a cheap HF paint gun is lightyears better.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not just look crappier, they also adhere and perform crappier too. Aerosol coatings are super thinned out and generally provides poorer protection than similar stuff sprayed out of a air gun which tends to be less thinned. Furthermore aerosol applied coatings tend to be really soft as well. Aerosol coatings including paint tends to just be garbage, even a cheap HF paint gun is lightyears better.
Not too worried about it. Not like it would be living a hard life anyway afterwards.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor