frame swap on wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
what other g-body frames will bolt up under a Malibu wagon? I know the wheelbase is the same as a 2dr Malibu but not sure on the rear horns or the body mounts.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
I dont believe any other frame fits without modification.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
87GN has a Grand National frame under his wagon. He had to add a mount perch on one of the rear frame rails, and re-position a few of the mounting holes.
If I can only find the link.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
it is not under his posts. possible it may have been deleted? I have a small section of rust on the driver side rear horn after the back wheel.plus I need to do the front to rear brake line and 2 of the mounting clips are next to impossible to get to. so thought abought picking up new frame. having it completed blasted and painted then do all new brake and fuel lines, all the suspension. brace the trailing arm mounts,all poly body mounts and add the gn mounts on top of the rear. then clean up the underside of the body while I have it all apart. the shell I pretty clean. so I want to preserve it as best I can.
I also thought about having my buddy chop it off use metal plate to close off the frame,add some tubing and a mount to support the body and just drill 2 small drain holes for the time being till I find a good frame. the bolt on trailer hitch seemed to be hiding a good amount of rust from sight.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It was an older thread that actually might have been posted in the WANTED section. I just checked. and it appears that it was deleted.
Perhaps if 87GN (Ed), sees this thread he'll chime in. He laid out a diagram with the differences between the wagon frame and the GN, or sedan/coupe frame. It was very informative. I wish I had bookmarked it..

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
pyrofenix said:
I have an 82 Malibu wagon and was told that an el camino frame is the same. Never confirmed it for myself though.
El Camino wheelbase is much longer than any other G-body.

This thread will explain the frame differences and what you'll need to do to make a sedan frame fit under a wagon.
http://www.gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=42793

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Clutch!
That's the thread I had in mind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor