Frame swapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWO Racing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2006
Ontario Canada
I have an 88 Cutlass and I want to use the frame under a 1980 Monte any issues? We normally cut them box the frames and weld in a roll cage so I have never restored one.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
The frames are basically identical. The only difference I am aware of is on the 1981 and prior cars: The mounting point for the transmission cross member on the drivers side frame rail does not extend back as far as it does on the 82 and later cars. So when I bought my double hump cross member I had to order the extra frame extension because my car is an 81. As long as you use the cross member that matches the frame you should be fine.

If go to the following site, you can see my frame on the trailer. You can see that boxed part of the frame (that the cross member mounts to) ends closer to the front of the car on the drivers side. On the 82 and later it extends about even with the passenger side.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2509921

JWO Racing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2006
Ontario Canada
I knew that about the frames. I was going t oput a 87 frame under it. Did you find your LS front end I have one complete with everything.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Yeah, I have the LS Front End already. Thanks for letting me know about yours though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor