frame width difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Today I was putting in g force th350 x member in my 81 frame and notice there is about an inch gap and won't fit properly. So then I try it on an 80 frame I Have and it fits like a glove. I then measure center to center on the body mount holes and the 81 frame and they are almost an inch further apart also measured the outside of the frame and same thing. The 81 frame is about an inch wider than the 80 frame.

My 80 frame is shot so I can't use it and the 81frame is painted and assemble with everything. Both are Malibu frames.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Joe

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Joe,

I think there's a snake in the proverbial woodpile. I have an 80 Malibu wagon body sitting on an 81 Malibu wagon frame and there is no issue what so ever. I have an 81 Malibu wagon sitting on an 80 Malibu wagon frame with no issue? There's possibly (not aware of) some differences between 78-79 (78 and 79 were still A body's) and 80-83 (in 80 through 83 they became G Body's) but beyond that, at least as far as Malibu's go, not sure what the skinny is. What is the date stamped on the frame? Passenger side about midway down on the top and/or side of the frame rails. ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
is the c section boxed? I boxed mine and it spread frame apart so I got a couple of straps to pull the c section in and bolted the transmission support and then dropped the body back on and now it fits fine. Get a strap, loosen the 3 body mount bolts, one each at the end of the c section and one ion the middle, pull the frame together and bolt the transmission support in and tighten up the body mount bolts. There is no difference in the frames from 78 to 87

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
ssbrewskyaz said:
Joe,

I think there's a snake in the proverbial woodpile. I have an 80 Malibu wagon body sitting on an 81 Malibu wagon frame and there is no issue what so ever. I have an 81 Malibu wagon sitting on an 80 Malibu wagon frame with no issue? There's possibly (not aware of) some differences between 78-79 (78 and 79 were still A body's) and 80-83 (in 80 through 83 they became G Body's) but beyond that, at least as far as Malibu's go, not sure what the skinny is. What is the date stamped on the frame? Passenger side about midway down on the top and/or side of the frame rails. ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

The stamp in the 81 frame is 0 323 and on the 80 frame is 0 925. I am just concerned that the difference is going to be an issue fitting the 80 body on.

pontiacgp said:
is the c section boxed? I boxed mine and it spread frame apart so I got a couple of straps to pull the c section in and bolted the transmission support and then dropped the body back on and now it fits fine. Get a strap, loosen the 3 body mount bolts, one each at the end of the c section and one ion the middle, pull the frame together and bolt the transmission support in and tighten up the body mount bolts. There is no difference in the frames from 78 to 87

Pontiac,

It is not boxed. It is just weird that there is a difference in widths between the frames. The frame was only sand blasted and painted. I will have to try what you mentioned. It should be easy since the frame is out. I should be switching frames in a couple of weeks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When the frame is out of the car there isn't much strength to it. It can bow out pretty easy but it will pull back in without much effort. Since the frame is out have you considered boxing it and fixing up the shoddy factory welds?

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
pontiacgp said:
When the frame is out of the car there isn't much strength to it. It can bow out pretty easy but it will pull back in without much effort. Since the frame is out have you considered boxing it and fixing up the shoddy factory welds?

That is true about the frame. It's like jello when you stand on it. I wish I could afford a scwartz frame.

Unfortunately I started thinking about fixing up the frame welds quite late. After I painted it and started assembly it bothered me but at that point I didn't want to strip the paint and start disassembly.

Thanks for the tips.

*edit* used the straps to bring it in and did the trick. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor