Freakin hood is stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
HELP!!!

Well I got my new '80 Cutlass home last night and pushed in the shop and all was good. I went out this morning to pop the hood to check a few things out and nothing. At first it sounded like it was releasing the catch but then the handle went slack and when I went to the front of the car the hood was not popped. I tried slapping over the catch, giving it a push and nothing. I try the handle again and you can hear the cable sliding and but there is no tension what so ever.

I had popped the hood several times while looking at the car before buying and again last night to get some under hood shots of the 350 Diesel. It had worked without fail every time until now.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get this sucker open short of cutting a hole in the aluminum hood :evil:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You might have broken or disconnected your hood release cable. Try removing the grille and see if you can get in there.
Whatever you do, DO NOT cut a hole in that hood.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Not sure about the Olds, but on my Malibu I was able to reach up from underneath,in front of the radiator, and pop the latch. It's a tight squeeze, and a long reach, so try Jack's idea first.

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
Bonnewagon said:
Not sure about the Olds, but on my Malibu I was able to reach up from underneath,in front of the radiator, and pop the latch. It's a tight squeeze, and a long reach, so try Jack's idea first.

This works ^… I had to do that wen I first got my cutty. Definitely don't cut up your Hood. Unless your going blown or tunnel ram Hahaha.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
Had this happen on the monte, the hood spring had slid out of place. VERY carefully use a pry bar to lever up the hood while someone else pulls the release. (Push the hood down, back to" lock" first). Alternetely, rech up from inside the under the car/inside the engine compartment and move the hood latch

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
When this happenned to me, I spent 4 hours under the car, unbolting the 3 bolts that hold the latch down, that is mounted in front of the radiator. I had to use flat wrenches but I got the job done. Of course, there was space for me to put my hand in but it was a tight fit. If you can look at a picture of a hood latch, you'll see what I mean.

The circle is where I reached through. Arrows point to the location of the bolts:
34tbiw8.png

Oh and I did *not* have that plate installed, that goes from the front of the car to the rad, which would have blocked my ability to do this. Actually haven't seen many Gbody's with that plate, so far I think I only seen it on my own car. Gonna install it tomorrow actually.

deathproof

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2009
saint louis
Luckily it's my trunk thats stuck shut. I would be pissed wreck if my hood was too. Good Luck.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Looking at it from underneath I think my best bet is going to be removing the front grill and working my way in from there. There are some flat plastic panels that go from the radiator support to the edge of the header panel that hopefully I can flex enough to get in and work the catch. I doubt I will get to it until tomorrow at this point I'm tired and feel like crap.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
recently due to a missalignment my hood was wedged shut I used one person pushing up on the bottom of the hood with a stick while I pried the latch with a really long screwdriver through the front where the grill would have been. I had no grill in so it was very easy.
My front fascia was narrower than yours by the looks so don't know how well it would work for you(camino)

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
454muscle said:
When this happenned to me, I spent 4 hours under the car, unbolting the 3 bolts that hold the latch down, that is mounted in front of the radiator. I had to use flat wrenches but I got the job done. Of course, there was space for me to put my hand in but it was a tight fit. If you can look at a picture of a hood latch, you'll see what I mean.

The circle is where I reached through. Arrows point to the location of the bolts:
34tbiw8.png

Oh and I did *not* have that plate installed, that goes from the front of the car to the rad, which would have blocked my ability to do this. Actually haven't seen many Gbody's with that plate, so far I think I only seen it on my own car. Gonna install it tomorrow actually.
This is the route that I went when this happened to me. It sucks, but there is no fun way to go about this :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor