Front adj coil overs and ride height questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ahh, derr. I would have guessed 1/2" without maths, should have went with the gut.

that was the way I came up with the 1/2" uneducated guess. There is also more to look at than the actual weight. Any weight before the front springs is partly supported by the rear springs and any weight in front of the springs is actually heavier the further you travel from the spring due to leverage.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
The measurements I took are only with the engine in and no other front end body panels nor any fluids plus I had rolled dolly under about the center of the lower control arm. So I think maybe with the wheel/tire installed the leverage to the outside may put more weight into springs and lower it some more???
Time will tell. I'll post back as I go along and thank you all for the tips!

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Well I had the adjuster spanned up about 1.5 inches initially as I think the instructions said that is a starting point. So I mocked up a fender when I got my wheels and took the measurement. Now I have it adjusted down with only about 3 threads showing on bottom so I have maybe a quarter inch more to go down. But the measurements did not change at all. Which to me is a little strange

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Again this was measured without the wheel or tire on the studs so I'm thinking that with the stress placed more outwards it may drop some. Just guessing...

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You have the right idea with the math, but there's one big issue. The way you're figuring out the load would be with the spring placed at the tip of the a arm. But the spring is actually located about half way in the tip and the pivot point giving mechanical advantage... So half your figures and you'll be closer.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you have the UMI set up the specs say the adjustment is from stock height down to a 2 inch drop. I wouldn't worry trying to figure anything out till you get the whole car together....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor