Front Control Arm Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchdog

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone....Im replacing both my upper and lower front control arms. The lowers I have on, and am just about to do the uppers. The question I have is, what angle are they supposed to be installed at, or does it even matter? The lowers I installed and theyre hanging at about a "4 oclock" angle, but before I do the uppers, I want to post this. Thanks! Much appreciated.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
I put about 3 shims in each position,hoping to be close,but knowing it would need aligned anyhow.BTW I really fought with the coils/compressor getting them in place.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
watchdog said:
The angle of the lowers are what concerns me.

The lowers arent adjustable so what exactly are you concerned with? Theyre set like they are to set your cars caster angle. Dont worry about it. The upper arms adjust the camber. Your going to want to eyeball the tire straight and take it for an alignment.

watchdog

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Yeah thats what I thought, that it didnt matter, cause theyre not adjustable, but then a guy I know said they had to be installed as if there was weight on them. Thats why I thought to ask.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
he might have been talking about tightening the bolts with weight on the car

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
watchdog said:
The angle of the lowers are what concerns me.

if you are using OEM bushings then the bolts are tightened with the control arm being at the position it would be with the vehicle weight is on the wheel so the control arm is at it's neutral position. The uppers have to be tightened when they are in their neutral position as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor