Front radiator support bushings very low

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I just tried on my fenders and there’s a huge gap. I read that I can use hockey pucks for this. Is this a normal issue? Changed all body mounts to prothane including the rad support bushings .

Attachments

• F40DB641-1FEF-4371-AC61-2C9E52F10D8A.jpeg
    F40DB641-1FEF-4371-AC61-2C9E52F10D8A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did you reuse the old metal with the new bushings? Depending on how much off thigs are washers might be needed for shims. If you need hockey pucks you might need the original metal to get to the needed height.

Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Did you reuse the old metal with the new bushings? Depending on how much off thigs are washers might be needed for shims. If you need hockey pucks you might need the original metal to get to the needed height.
I was thinking of running a washer over the puck. I don’t have any of that

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hockey pucks are a bad idea. Not only do you lose the compression/flex aspect as the frame moves (and the frames bend a good bit then relax back to shape) but they also crack and fall out over time.

Years ago they were poor-mans body lifts for trucks and had a habit of breaking and causing unsafe condition.

Use shims and washers, and make sure the right bushings went in the right spot. The factory had steel shells that went along with the bushings at the radiator. If your kit expected you to put your new bushing along with that metal hardware, that's part of your problem.

Reactions: 3 users

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Hockey pucks are a bad idea. Not only do you lose the compression/flex aspect as the frame moves (and the frames bend a good bit then relax back to shape) but they also crack and fall out over time.

Years ago they were poor-mans body lifts for trucks and had a habit of breaking and causing unsafe condition.

Use shims and washers, and make sure the right bushings went in the right spot. The factory had steel shells that went along with the bushings at the radiator. If your kit expected you to put your new bushing along with that metal hardware, that's part of your problem.
My kit did not show any type of old item being used in the detail. So my idea was just to use my kit and put it on top of the hockey puck. That should retain the flex. Just lifts it a bit from the frame. I really see no other option. The rest of the cars body mounts are prothane and went on great. These front ones are just too low.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I may look at washers but that’s a LOT of washers. Sounds like it would make more sense just raise an inch with a puck. May even be a little too much.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i had this probelm with my ride before,make the spacer out of whatever you see fit,the placement is more important.by that i mean as long as your o.e style bushing sandwiches the support it'll provide the absorbtion of noise,vibration,harmonics etc etc in the process.the bushing will do it's job regaurdless of what it's bolted to.

Reactions: 1 users

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
i had this probelm with my ride before,make the spacer out of whatever you see fit,the placement is more important.by that i mean as long as your o.e style bushing sandwiches the support it'll provide the absorbtion of noise,vibration,harmonics etc etc in the process.the bushing will do it's job regaurdless of what it's bolted to.
was thinking of what else i can do. really not many options. so puck it is. thanks

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I just tried on my fenders and there’s a huge gap. I read that I can use hockey pucks for this. Is this a normal issue? Changed all body mounts to prothane including the rad support bushings .

The clearance between the fender and the radiator support may even be bigger than the pic shows. Without any support, they fenders will bend down in the front.

Install the front bumper to determine how much higher it needs to go. You can find the big shims from another G body. Washers will be too small for the big hole in the frame and a big washer will have too big of a center hole.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor