Fuel system issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket350olds

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2020
Makes me think its a bad fuel pump causing the issue cuz after 1 day sitting you can crank till the battery dies and won't start unless I pressurize the tank

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Makes me think its a bad fuel pump causing the issue cuz after 1 day sitting you can crank till the battery dies and won't start unless I pressurize the tank
A good way to test is to use some rubber hose and a electric fuel pump there.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You've obviously got issues in the fuel system. If it were me, I'd buy a couple feet of the different diameter fuel lines and spent an hour dropping the gas tank and replacing the rubber lines between the sending unit and hard metal lines.

Before attaching the new rubber lines I'd go ahead pull the sening unit and shine a light inside, check for rust or debris. Then, disconnect the lines near the fuel pump and blow compressed air through the drained fuel lines to make sure there's no blockages. Could be crap from tank was sucked up, or, that rubber line was degrading from inside due to ethanol and some got into the metal line.

After that I'd replace the rubber lines that exist near the fuel pump, and, because it's cheap the pump itself, partly because you were pressurize things and mightve done some damage.

After that you know the pump and lines should be OK. See how it runs.

Functionally, if a fuel pump is too weak to suck gas up to the carb, it's also probably too weak to push it to the motor once it's in the lines as well. Often a weak pump is opposite your issue - it can pull from tank and prime itself but not push to engine.

If you think of your scenario, adding pressure in the tank is forcing the fuel past... something ... to get it to the pump. Almost even like a collapsed factory rubber line or repair section to your steel lines. Your pressure in the tank forces it back open, then things go back to work normally.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor