Full Bench to Buckets

Status
Not open for further replies.

New3ra

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2008
I have a full bench not a split in my 83 Monte right now, I have a pair of buckets from a elky though, Im sure they'll work, right now im struggling to get this bench out but anyways, is it going to be hard to mount the new buckets? I DO NOT wanna have to pull the carpet.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
sorry bud, but you'll be pulling that carpet.

9 times out of 10 you won't have the mounting for buckets. you will have to get them from a donor car. you will see this when you get your seat out.

New3ra

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2008
Jman said:
sorry bud, but you'll be pulling that carpet.

9 times out of 10 you won't have the mounting for buckets. you will have to get them from a donor car. you will see this when you get your seat out.

I have buckets with brackets? I just cant make holes and mount to the floor?

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
How fireproof is that carpet? :p

New3ra

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2008
So ok I can unbolt my bench right and take that out? but I cant just bolt down some bucket seats with holes? I have to really go threw all the BS of taking my carpet out?

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Think about it the bench bolts on by the doors the buckets have a track on each side by the transmission hump.You'll have to weld in the brackets for the buckets to bolt to by the transmission tunnel.If you try to just bolt them in they will lean to the center of the car.

Oct 9, 2008
sorry to say this buddy but you are going to have to pull up that carpet. you will also have to weld the brackets to the floor pan. the carpet is in no way fire proof and will go up in flames really quickly. trust me i used to work in a body shop and before that i worked in a junk yard pulling parts. you will have to take out the bench. unclasp the back seat , unbolt the selt belts from the floor. you are going to need a hex bolt for them. then you have to undo the door floor guard and you will be able to pull the carpet. the good thing is that while the carpet is out you can completly clean it to almost new and as a hint. soak it down with just alittle water and set it out in the sun. the carpet will stretch alittle allowing you to have a better fit and look brand new.

then bolt on the new brackets to the seats and set them into the car. using a black magic marker you can draw an outline of where they are going to be needed to be welded down. you could get away with drilling and bolting but you are going to have alot of rust issues later on. you could even take the car to a body shop with the carpet out and they will weld on the brackets for you if you just mark on the floor pan where they need to go. it will not cost you more then 40 dollars. after that, it will be an easy install puting the new seats and clean carpet back in. sorry you have to go through so much trouble but that is the way it needs to be done so it doesnt look like a pimp my ride reject

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
bench seats

You never said if your bench seats were a full bench of the 40/60 split...If they are the 40/60 split you don't need to pull the carpet and all that other nonsense...all you gotta do is take the tracks off of your split bench seats and use them for your buckets...then your good to go.
Joe

threetwentyseven

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2008
Medicine Hat, AB
Here's a pic of the brackets you'll need and how they fit on the car:
MoreMalibupics024.jpg
Most likely you'll have the one closest to the door, but you'll need the two brackets nearest to the transmission tunnel.
MoreMalibupics025.jpg
The back one

MoreMalibupics026.jpg
And the front one. Notice the brackets on top of the transmission tunnel for the console and shifter.... Here's a better pic:
MoreMalibupics027.jpg
and the holes in the floor that are tapped for the bolts to hold the shifter in:
MoreMalibupics028.jpg

and a pic of the hole in the floor for the console shifter cable
MoreMalibupics029.jpg

Your best option is to get a donor car with buckets or spend a couple hours at the scrap yard to drill out the spot welds all around the brackets, separate them from the car, and prep them to weld them in. Place your new bucket seat over the existing bracket that is in the car, and place the new brackets where they're supposed to go. Check the alignment of the seat to the front of the car, mark the outline of the bracket and then remove the seat again and weld in the new ones. Nobody will know that it wasn't factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor