functional cowl induction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hericletus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2015
Brunswick, GA
Any ideas on how to make a aftermarket cowl hood functional? I had a site where he used a cake pan and Moroso foam but can't find it now. what are you all using?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When I built the car the first time (and before I switched to functional ram air) I had grafted a fibreglass scoop onto the stock hood and welded a flange onto the underside that would mate up to a seal on the air filter housing.
If you've already got one of the new steel hoods that already has this in place, you're halfway there.
I found an old Dodge air cleaner housing in the wreckers that was bigger than the 14" air filter, cut it down, welded up the unnecessary holes and installed a universal bulb style weatherstrip seal around the top to mate up with the flange. A little paint and a factory style sticker, and vôila, functional cowl induction.

image.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Rigging up something to seal isn't too hard and there are multiple ways to go about doing that. The real challenge is to make a truely functional cowl setup so it's only open at WOT.....;)

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Chris,
I'm glad you opened up this topic. I also plan to make my cowl hood functional. Here's an informative thread that I found on the Monte Carlo SS Forum.
http://www.montecarloss.com/GoodmarkAirCleaner.html
He used a high density foam between the air cleaner and hood. I would go with a rubber seal. You can purchase them separately on Ebay, etc.

It also mentions using an 18" x 3" cake pan.
http://cooksdream.com/mm5/merchant....e=LLPRD183&Category_Code=BAC&Product_Count=11

I guess by not using a dropped base air cleaner, it would bring the height up, and closer to meet the hood. I've found a spacer from a GM TPI car at the junkyard a while back. I suppose I could always cut and trim that to fit the needed height between the air cleaner and hood.

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rigging up something to seal isn't too hard and there are multiple ways to go about doing that. The real challenge is to make a truely functional cowl setup so it's only open at WOT.

Two things:
First of all, the OP didn't say anything about it being functional strictly at WOT, merely that he was looking for ideas that others had done. I'm sure if he wanted a factory functioning cowl induction setup c/w the flapper like the Camaros and Chevelles had, he would have mentioned that. In which case, he can expect to pay hundreds for repop factory pieces from places like Year One, OPG and others and adapt them to work with his combination.

Secondly, if you think sealing the housing to the underside of the hood is an easy solution that anyone could do and not a true functional cowl induction, I'd love to see the photos and write up on what you've done on yours to make it a truly functional setup.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Donovan,
I couldn't agree with you more. The factory SS setup with air cleaner assembly, flapper, vacuum servo, etc. runs into the hundreds of dollars, as you mentioned. I'm sure it would be an undertaking to simulate the factory setup in looks and function.
I'd be happy to have it function enough to allow outside air into the carb/ intake.

BTW, you did a nice clean job on yours..well executed...;)

I've tried looking for an oversize air cleaner housing from an old land yacht...they're not easy to come by..:confused:

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BTW, you did a nice clean job on yours..well executed...;)

I've tried looking for an oversize air cleaner housing from an old land yacht...they're not easy to come by..:confused:

Thanks Jack. That's an old photo from sometime in the late 90's, early 2000's after I had completed the first version of the car.
You're absolutely right, those big oversize air filter housings are hard to come by, even back then. I wandered the wrecking yards for a couple'a weeks with a tape measure looking for one that would work. The one I finally ended up using was off an old Chrysler 300 land yacht IIRC.
Lol
It seems to me now, the top portion I cut off the housing to get the right height I used as the basis for the sealing flange on the underside of the hood as it was already the same diameter.
Regardless, I help this helps the OP with his request for ideas.
:)

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
That looks like a good way to go for $160.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor