G-body Perfromance Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The problem with a short 4 link on the G body is that the rear wheels point in the wrong direction when you're taking the car through a corner.
Could you explain this in more detail?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
We will be offering both options. The 4-bar for less money, and IRS for better driving/handling.
Thank you for the input.
I did a quick and dirty measurement on my G8 - I think the track on a 2011+ Camaro is 4-5 " wider than the Malibu. What is your strategy?
Given how common modern negative offset rims are becoming, a useful detail would be a front suspension conversion that lets a buyer use the same wheel in both front and rear locations when swapping out to IRS.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
The problem with a short 4 link on the G body is that the rear wheels point in the wrong direction when you're taking the car through a corner.
The way GM set up their parallel 4-links yes, not necessarily true for all 4 links, it just depends on bar angles.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Brian @ Canadian Hot rods

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2016
Who likes the donor El Camino?

Attachments

• 20161028_123519.jpg
    20161028_123519.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 186

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As I'm sure you already know, the El Camino wheelbase is approximately 6" longer than any other A/G body vehicle, and there are differences between the rear part of the frame between the station wagon/El Camino and the coupe/sedan frame. What kind of shape is the rear part of the frame on your donor El Camino in?
You might be able to get some helpful information from Conrad Lozier. For a number of years, he was creating and selling rear frame replacement rails for the different types of '78-'88 A/G body vehicles. He's in the Woodstock Ontario area. He's getting to the point of retiring from the repair rail business, but he might be able to help. I'm sure that if you Google his name, that you can find contact information for him.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2016
As I'm sure you already know, the El Camino wheelbase is approximately 6" longer than any other A/G body vehicle, and there are differences between the rear part of the frame between the station wagon/El Camino and the coupe/sedan frame. What kind of shape is the rear part of the frame on your donor El Camino in?
You might be able to get some helpful information from Conrad Lozier. For a number of years, he was creating and selling rear frame replacement rails for the different types of '78-'88 A/G body vehicles. He's in the Woodstock Ontario area. He's getting to the point of retiring from the repair rail business, but he might be able to help. I'm sure that if you Google his name, that you can find contact information for him.
Thanks! I will contact him.
The donor is not good, I can see why so many people are rebuilding these frames.

• Agree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2016
Narrowed frame rails, to fit 335/30/18 tires (will need mini-tub) with triangulated 4 bar link and coilovers.
Still needed pictures of underbodys, any help?

Attachments

• GB-*ss-02.JPG
    GB-*ss-02.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 190

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Still needed pictures of underbodys, any help?

Google? https://www.google.ca/search?q=g+bo...nRu4XQAhXl1IMKHUt1CS8QsAQIHQ&biw=1680&bih=951

I am trying to be a little funny here, but you will find the cleanest G-bodies are usually lowriders. The underside of mine always look like rubberized undercoating.

You should consider adding adjustable pick up points on the frame side of the rear UCAs, not at the differential. Unless of course you are supplying the differential with the frame in all instances, otherwise you will be limited by the stock axle pick-up points.

Keep in mind that G-body owners are not necessarilly the most affluent folks going - so you will want to value engineer certain aspects of this frame - such as making it a modular approach (adding suspension upgrades as they go) vs. being bespokely engineered. Sinking $10K US into chassis under a $3000 car is not really viable.

You are going to need a better representation for mule testing your frame under a car that isn't rotted to hell - get a basic, clean, V6 car and start there. Mock-ups on anything less are going to be frustrating or impossible. Also, plan for the very wide production tolerances these cars have.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor