liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
So Jack, you found some NOS fronts then? Ughh, you suck. lol :D

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I actually found two LH side run channels. The same ones that Scott already has. The one I got from a Maryland dealer is the last superseded part # 20674357. He happened to have one on the shelf. The other I found from a resaler in Illinois. That one has the earlier part # 20008199. So as you see, I'll have to modify one of them to work on the right side.
No one seems to have the RH side channels. It seems like they're unavailable from the aftermarket, which really sucks.
I may still look into having some pieces made...especially the upright pieces for the front doors.
If i find another source for NOS stuff, I'll let you know for sure.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Awesome. I am sure you could cut it at the seams, flip everything around, and use it for the other side. Thank you for keeping me in mind. I may be at a point after the holidays to make some big purchases for the BOP wagon. :D

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
ssbrewskyaz said:
I had a little time this weekend (basically my *ss was draggin on Sunday because of the record heat on Saturday) that I decided to take some more photos , measurements and do a comparison of run channel materials on G-Body, specifically, OE Malibu run channel and Caprice. I thought I'd resurrect this thread with the hopes someone has an "in" with one of the companies that could make this stuff happen.

My opinion, I don’t think you can do better than the 1720 for the short side and top piece of the window. For all practical purposes it’s an exact match to the factory material.

On the other hand, the 1336 leaves a lot to be desired.

1336 compared to OE. OE is on the left.

1336 compared to OE. OE is on the bottom.

1336 compared to OE. OE is on the left

Again, my opinion, the 1395 is closer to the shape of the OE material but according to the dimensions, the 1336 is ½ inch high and the 1395 is 35/64 or a difference of 5/64 in height. Does that make a difference, I don’t know yet.

1395 Shape and Dimensions

Malibu Compared to Caprice

This is the material used on the Short Side and Top of the Caprice run channel. It's nothing like anything I've even found in the catalog.

OE Malibu Long Side

OE Malibu Short Side and Top

Malibu Measurement I

Malibu Measurement II

Malibu Measurement III

Caprice Measurement I

Caprice Measurement II

Caprice Measurement III

So, what does all that mean? In my opinion it means we're good as far as a perfect match for material on the short side and top. It also means however that we need to keep looking for a more suitable replacement for the long side and specifically a better option than the 1336. This is really stupid, I can buy front and rear run channel for just about any year four door Caprice but not for a G-Body. Do not get that at all.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll:

Had to bump this thread back from the dead just tore my doors apart for paint and I am at the point of no return. I will have to come up with something to redo my run channels.

Scott after reviewing everything in the entire thread and re-reading through your post I quoted above it appears that after market parts are out there except for the long front door piece.
In your notes it does not say but I am curious if you took the long piece from the caprice run channel and cut if off would it work just in that part of the window channel? I found a set of Caprice 4 door NOS run channels both left and right and I am wondering if I could use that long part and make my own run channels up using the Danno parts for the rest of the door?

A picture to compare that part of the long section of run channel caprice vs OE G body's or any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ed,
It was never established if the Caprice front upright run channel compares to the Malibu channel. Danno also sells the complete Caprice run channels...repops I'm sure.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Longroof79 said:
Ed,
It was never established if the Caprice front upright run channel compares to the Malibu channel. Danno also sells the complete Caprice run channels...repops I'm sure.
You know, everytime I am at the u-pull-it, I forget about the caprice. I walked past a few of them too. :blam:

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Page one of this very thread gentlemen compares the G-Body (Malibu) run channel with the B-Body (Caprice) run channel. Then I went back and reviewed, I owe you guys a photo comparison, side by side with the Malibu and Caprice profiles. I noticed I only show one side of the Caprice profile.

On the same subject, thanks for reminding me. I sent Metro (SuperSoft) a power point presentation several weeks ago with all the detail I had available regarding G-Body run channel. I talked to these guys at SEMA this last year and they seemed very interested seeing how no one is making the stuff. I went as far as to go into the GM parts sourcing application and find who the original supplier was but that's where I left it. Other, more pressing work issues always get in the way of the stuff I'd rather do.

I will try to follow up with them again next week to determine if it's under consideration.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :wink:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
That my friend in some awesome leg work on your part getting with the the manufacturers to try and get something made. They would sell them I am sure.

If nothing comes up in 2-3 months (it won't), I'll b e ordering all the different numbers till I get something to work.

Keep us posted. :D

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Here you go, the Caprice and Malibu Front Door Run Channel Comparison. I've only Compared pieces that are unavailable i.e. one profile of the Malibu. The other profile of the Malibu is a direct match to currently available run channel. The one caveat I have to add here is that I don’t have an NOS Caprice Front Door Run Channel Profile; all I have is a repop. The rear door Caprice run channel however is NOS.

Caprice Run Channel Profile #1.

Caprice Run Channel Profile #2

Unavailable Malibu Run Channel Profile

Malibu - Caprice Side by Side Comparison (Caprice Left/Malibu Right)

Flattened Side by Side Comparison (Caprice Left/Malibu Right)

Caprice Rear Door Profile #1

Caprice Rear Door Profile #2

1336 Run Channel Profile - (This is the profile recommendation by certain manufacturers to use on the Malibu)

This is an end view of the GM 20674357 - short Side

GM20674357-TopampShortSide_zps5b3dffc1.jpg

This is an end view of the 1720

DannoAS1720_zps0a1fdbd7.jpg

1374 Run Channel Profile - This is very close to the 1720 with miner differences

The 1395 is closer to the shape of the OE material but according to the dimensions but still not a perfect match.

This is a flattened comparison of the 1395

I gotta find this stuff soon. I don't have any more hair to fall out and I damn sure can't afford for my teeth to start falling out. ... :blam:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor