Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
I too would have thought that this particular channel would have been used on several different models of GM cars. But GM is no stranger in making parts that are proprietary to one particular model and type of vehicle. Although many parts do interchange, you'll always have that one odd part that is specific to that car only.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying B-body wagon run channel if I knew some of it would work. I also wouldn't be squeamish about cutting off the required pieces that were needed.

The way I look at it, someone out there makes the correct profile channel. The stuff from Restoration Specialties will most likely work. Although not a perfect match, but we might have to draw the line somewhere. Having a shop or company specially extrude a particular channel is kinda crazy. First off, it wouldn't be cost effective unless there was a great demand for it.

Somehow, I don't think the channel for a Malibu/ Monte Carlo, Cutlass coupe would be the same. But I would still like to see what it looks like. If someone out there could take a picture of one, that would be great.

Where did you see the type for a Custom Cruiser wagon indicated?

Oh, BTW. I received my order from Danno over the weekend. He was kind enough to include a few samples of run channel.
Besides the AS1720, he included a piece of AS1198, which is a good match for the vent window frame. I will be ordering a length of that, and a piece of the AS1336. I have to say, I like the fit of the AS1336 over the AS1720.
The AS1720 fits the door frame channel nicely, but I think the glass fit would be too sloppy. I tried the sample of the AS1336, and the glass will fit that more snugly.
I guess I had to see for myself. So it looks like I will be returning 2-lengths of AS1720, sorry to say.
For a couple of stupid run channels, I never would have dreamed it would be so difficult to match.
By no means am I trying to undermine your research, but this is my observation. The way I see it, we're still collaborating on a solution. I appreciate all you've done so far.

So as Cher says, " the beat goes on".. :lol:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Hope one of you guys get it figured out, lol, I'll be ordering the stuff for mine over the winter I hope. Life is taking up my time finishing the metal work need ed to get the car in paint. :(

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
All of a sudden research has ground to a halt. I'm still in limbo about that one length of run channel. It looks like I may purchase the B-body run channels and dissect them. I'd like to finish putting the glass back into the car. The rear doors are done...they were simple. The fronts are half done except for those dumb vertical channels.
We haven't heard from you in a while. What's your spin on this so far?

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Hello Jack,

I moved on to other pressing projects on the car. I know I need to get it figured out but I'm not ready to hang the doors yet so I decided to work on all the things that are keeping me from hanging the doors. The list was fairly substantial. I guess I need a "level set" on your attached comment:

"The rear doors are done...they were simple".

What is it that made them simple and did you do any camera work as they were assembled? No I'm not talking about your hand or your wrist but of the actual run channel install? Can you be a little more specific and what material you decided to use and how you assembled the stuff.

The anticipation is unbareable. ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :rofl:

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
I know I should have taken pics of the assembly of the rear door windows. It was so straight forward. Before i knew it, it was all done.
First off, I installed the window sweeps, then went ahead and installed the vent window frames. Next I used the AS 1336 on the forward and top frames. I cut a few small V-notches to comply with the corners.
I then cut strips of the AS1198 to fit the vent window divider channel. Everything fit nice and snug.
Again I should have taken pics. I'm sorry about that.
I'm going to take a better look at the front run channels, especially the AS1779. I may have to get a little creative with that involving clamps and 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

Is the AS1779 the same as the upright or vertical channels for the B-body Caprice, etc?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, glad that worked! I found my old rear glass runs. They are dry rotted and shot, but I found them, lol. Going to use the parts numbers you did for the rear. The front is a bridge I'll blow up when I come to it, lol

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I was happy to at least get the rears done. I've been holding off on the fronts thinking I'll find a better suited alternative.
Looks like I'll probably proceed with them. I'll keep you guys informed. I hate the feeling of not making progress.

I think you'll be pleased with the fit of the rear run channels. To do the forward window frame and top. I used a full length strip from where the channel meets the vent window frame/channel. Measured where the forward corner is and cut a few V's to conform to the corner. I kept it as one piece. The corner where the vent window frame converges, I did a butt fit on that.
I figured the window glass is stationary and won't slide up and down, so it won't be as critical as the front glass.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, I hear ya there on the no progress. Try and take a few pics when and if you get the fronts in.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
liquidh8 said:
Jack, I hear ya there on the no progress. Try and take a few pics when and if you get the fronts in.
Will do, Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor