• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
jonnyslick said:
A lot of the new generation "muscle cars" are coming from the factory with 20's and it doesn't seem to hurt the performance that much. Even supercars that are tuned to the limits are coming with 20's. With advances in technology, a lot of 20's are light that most 15's were twenty years ago.

Still ... based on tire selection and just the fact of fitting them in the car, I'm going to go with some 17's I think. Although I am throwing the idea of an 18 around still.

You also have to realize that those cars are designed to have those rims, G bodies are not.

Have you tried going to protouring.com? They might have more info as to what tire/wheel combo you should go with.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Re: no reason to compare diffrences.

Sorry I wouldn't waste the money on 20"s. I am fully aware of what a Donk is ... hence my comment reguarding their lack of handling. I am curious since GM never made a 20" IROC. On your aftermarket rims what kind of backspacing is used on all 4 corners? What size tire? You do know that factory rear IROC rims won't fit the back. While it's not impossible for a 20" rim to not rub ... it has to be a pretty goofy and impractical tire size or you aren't running inner fenders. I do know a thing or two about tire fitments and handling. If you feel froggy shoot. I've likely forgotten more than you know on the subject ... otherwise you probably wouldn't have 20"s.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Pro-touring guys would tell him not to run 20" rims on a G-body

78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007

DrRansom442 said:
Sorry I wouldn't waste the money on 20"s. I am fully aware of what a Donk is ... hence my comment reguarding their lack of handling. I am curious since GM never made a 20" IROC. On your aftermarket rims what kind of backspacing is used on all 4 corners? What size tire? You do know that factory rear IROC rims won't fit the back. While it's not impossible for a 20" rim to not rub ... it has to be a pretty goofy and impractical tire size or you aren't running inner fenders. I do know a thing or two about tire fitments and handling. If you feel froggy shoot. I've likely forgotten more than you know on the subject ... otherwise you probably wouldn't have 20"s.

I never said GM made a 20" IROC these are aftermarket Irocs and yes I know about the factory IROCS backspacing this is not my first rodeo sparky..

Wheels are 20x9 with 255-35-20 tires.. My inner fenders have never been touched.. I rolled the rear finder lips as that was the only place that rubbed slightly with a car load..

Some guys on here are running 15" and 16" inch rim/tire combo's that are overall just as tall and in some instances slightly taller than my tire/wheel combo and wider as well.. If you like the look that's cool with me. I DON"T BAG ON OTHER PEOPLES TASTE.. But don't tell me the combo will not fit.

Since you know so much, what is the overall diameter of the tires I'm running? and what do you recomend the overall diameter should be?
or did you forget?

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri

78monte said:
Since you know so much, what is the overall diameter of the tires I'm running? and what do you recomend the overall diameter should be?
or did you forget?

smidge over 27" overall ... above the recomended +/- 3% of factory height of 25.5". Your Speedometer (unless recalibrated) is now 6 % too slow and it's their widest point on your rims your tires are about 10" ... which means if you are lowerred or at stock ride height ... you got the lucky with wider, than every other G-body on the road, front wheel wells ... 9.5" at the widest point tires rub like hell in turns. Rears should have ZERO clearance issues with the right backspace rim. BTW before someone chimes in about their Regal or 4 door, they are a tad more forgiving.

p.s. a 78 isn't a G-body and yeah my siggy is off ... neither's the 81 but it looks just like the 82-86

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
who gives a ****? if they fit and they do what you want them to do, do it.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
2000.malibu.ls said:
who gives a ****? if they fit and they do what you want them to do, do it.

"before someone chimes in about their Regal "

I'm getting psychic. 2 words = fender flares

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
come to think of it I may have to find a 78/80 Monte and take a few measurement ... those front fenders may also have less issues than a 81-88 Cutlass ... looking at some pix - has me thinking

78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007

DrRansom442 said:
78monte said:
or did you forget?

smidge over 27" overall ... above the recomended +/- 3% of factory height of 25.5". Your Speedometer (unless recalibrated) is now 6 % too slow and it's their widest point on your rims your tires are about 10" ... which means if you are lowerred or at stock ride height ... you got the lucky with wider, than every other G-body on the road, front wheel wells ... 9.5" at the widest point tires rub like hell in turns. Rears should have ZERO clearance issues with the right backspace rim. BTW before someone chimes in about their Regal or 4 door, they are a tad more forgiving.

p.s. a 78 isn't a G-body and yeah my siggy is off ... neither's the 81 but it looks just like the 82-86

Ok.. Went and took a look seems I made a mistake... I'm running 245's all around.. My old 17's have 255's on them..

So it looks like my overall tire diameter is 26.8" do you really think that is terribly tall?

And like I said no rubbing issues at all in the front period.. regardless of what you say.. I'm telling you my car does not rub and it's lowered.

You keep saying "donk" and my car is not even close to a donk, to be honest I can't stand them and would never own one (But I would never bad mouth somebody's ride because that's what they like either).

I wasn't aware my 78 monte is not a g-body could you tell me what it is?
Oh and how much do my rims/tires weigh too? lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor