Gas Leak?! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I'd caution you about parking it in a closed garage if a gas water heater is in the garage. The flame may ignite the fumes.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The water heater is in the basement...?

Well I got under there again. Here's what I've got. The entire one side looks saturated. The side by the axle, closest to the front of the car. Then so is the passenger side, but not the drivers. And I'm extra confused because car was jacked up high in the front, so if anything leaked out becasue of "gravity" I'd be from the other side that isn't leaking. So I have no idea. Nor, exactly where it's actually comming from to actually fix it...

Here's some pics. Maybe you can notice something...

1. A shot from behind the rear passenger side wheel showing the saturation on the "front" side.
P5061100.jpg

2. An all-over shot from behind the vehicle showing how large the area of saturation is. The white splotches is the residue from the duct tape. But the tannish drips is the gas. That's originally all I thought it was...
P5061096.jpg

3. Another shot from behind the vehicle. Showing the passenger side strap. Not sure how this'd be involved, but it seems to be.
P5061098.jpg

ARGGGG!!!!

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
If there's no wet fuel area above the seam the tank is rusting out... a victim of Northern winters. Personally I wouldn't even bother trying to patch it, instead trying to find a decent used tank. Welcome to the hobby!

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Boo. lol. Can you easily install one yourself? You just basically drive the car until the fuel is almost completely used then remove those straps by those few bolts then just drop it and remove it. More or less is that how it goes? It's just that I already need brakes and a cat-back, so this sh*t is adding up fast. And for a side car, it's starting to be a pain. lol. But what I don't understand is it never did this before? All of a sudden I came home and boom, gas. Could this've been related to jacking it way up or is that just happenstance? And lastly, will this solve the slight gas fume smell that has always plauged my car? Even since before I bought it, and I parked next to it at work, I noticed it smelled like gas a bit...

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Gas evaporates fast. So if you have a constant wet area on your tank, you have a leak somewhere - it's not just from jacking.

Look around for a Hayne's manual for your car. They have very detailed instructions on how to remove and install everything.

As for dropping the tank, becareful. Lower it slowly, as you don't want to pull all of the lines off from just dropping it. It is a relatively easy job though.

I'm in the same boat as you. Everyday, there is something new to fix. I mean everyday. I fixed some vacuum lines yesterday, and now my timing is off. So, when I shut the engine off, it keeps running! Fun fun, welcome to the world of G-body's!

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
We just removed my old patched tank and replace it with a Regal tank that the guy was putting in a newer FI tank. The lines on the "new" tank were good still, but had to plug the third fuel line.

We changed most of the gas line with metal brake line (was it 11/16" or 5/16"?) and used 3/8" Fuel hose with connectors to keep it together. Same with transmission cooler lines, but with high pressure transmission hose. Use the edge of the tire to bend it into shape slowly....

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Don't put a jack under there without plywood...that jack will punch a hole right through that rusty bottom.
Yea, you really need a reference library to be in this hobby.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Check e-bay for as brand new tank. There have been places there selling new high quality Canadian made G body tanks on there in the $150 price range. I agree that if its rusted through and you plan to keep the car for a while, patching isn't the way to go. PA can be quite fussy with inspections.
-Mark-

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
It's just that I got this in hopes of not dumping a billion dollars into it, and now it needs this, it needs that, blah. I don't mind messing with stuff, but I can't have gas spilling everywhere. So I gotta do that before I can do my brakes and exhaust. If anyone smokes by the car, we're gonna blow up. Fantastic. lol. I do have a factory shop manual, so that should help, but it's just like damn man. Anyone want a GP with Cragars for 500 bucks??? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor