Gas pump handle keeps clicking at pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2016
So I'm going to put gas in my 83 Monte, but i can only pump a couple cents at a time and the gas will come shooting out towards me. I know Damn well its not full either. I'll have to put a couple cents at a time till I can see it at the top of the filler neck. Let me know what I can do

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sounds like there is no vent. Is your Evap canister intact? If not, what's been done to the vent line?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Is it a replacement tank?
I had a Spectra replacement tank in my 86 El Camino which had a crushed vent tube inside the filler neck. Ended up taking it back to point of purchase for exchange on a new tank. It was not the first tank they had this problem with.
Installed new tank, never had any problems afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
My car will do this with certain pumps, but it doesn't shoot gas out. The pump just clicks off, when I know the tank is not even close to being full. I think it has something to do with the fill neck being so short on these cars. The fumes from the gas flow back up the neck and cause the handle to stop pumping. Usually if I pump slower it won't do it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor