gbody handling mods - are they worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iambigperm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2010
My 84 Regal has pretty much just been a fun street/strip car without any emphasis on handling. I've got it running 11.50's in the 1/4 and I don't plan on putting a cage in it. I am going to add a large rear anti-roll bar to get some better behavior on my launches which got me looking at different suspension pieces.

My question is this.... How well do these car handle after $2-3k in suspension mods? I've never been in a g-body that handled worth a crap so I'm not really sure what is possible or what to expect. As it sits I enjoy the car and it rides like a caddy. I searched youtube for videos of gbodies road racing and couldn't find anything. I would hate to put a bunch of cash into it to get it to corner no better than a Camry or something...

My basic setup is:

all iron 383
700r4 full manual valve body
4000 stall w/lockup
4.11 8.5" 10 bolt
a dash of nitrous

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I guess that a couple of good questions to ask would be, are you willing to sacrifice some of the Caddy type ride? How well do you want it to handle, and how much are you willing to spend? Just thought I'd ask.

iambigperm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2010
I'll happily trade the ride for good handling. I just want to make sure I don't end up with a harsh ride and a car that still corner's like it is from the 80's. I'd be willing to put $2-3k in it if that was enough.

iambigperm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not looking to road race or anything. Just something a little fun to drive in the corners. I know it's not going to be a Corvette.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You don't need to put in 2-3,000 in upgrades even if your getting a shop to do it. if your springs are original then I'd say they are over due to be changed and the cost of a higher spring rate that lowers the car is no more expensive than an OEM replacement and even if they don't have to be changed a set of moog springs are under $200, Eibachs are about $250 I think. The same goes for all the bushings in the car if they have never been changed. Performance shocks aren't that expensive. If you want to spend 3,000 it easy to do tho.
As far as the mods being worth it.... It make the car safer to drive and more enjoyable

iambigperm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2010
I had an El Camino owner tell me they did the basics...Springs, shocks, all poly bushings and it bare drove any different. I'm thinking it would also need the big sway bars and maybe some control arms. I was hoping to find some videos of g-bodys driving aggressively on the twisties, but can only find drag vids.

iambigperm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2010
I threw the words "gn autocross" into my youtube search and found pleny of GN's ripping up some pavement. I'm just wondering how far they had to go to get those results.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I had an '85 SS years ago and just used drop spindles, poly end links, Belltech drop shocks, Suspension Techniques rear springs and it was a whole different car. I only had about $500 in the suspension too. Not exactly a canyon carver or Pro-touring car, but it handled great for what it was.

The sky's the limit if your funds permit. Even on a budget you can make dramatic changes. If it was a waste of time I don't think companies like UMI, Energy Suspension, Global West, Spohn, etc would be developing products for our cars.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
iambigperm,
If you'd like to save money down the road, spend about $45.00 now and get these two books (How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn...and...How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle by Mark Savitske) and you'll read about the pro methods for improved handling, safety and performance. How to set up chassis for highway, road course, drag racing or oval tracks.
You'll also get the data, formulas and instructions you'll need to build your car just the way YOU want it.
I've read my books at least a dozen times now and learn something new each and every time I open them!!
Don't get me wrong, I still ask handling questions on the forums. It's just nice to know the "what and why" to their suggestions, and to look things up if I don't understand what they're telling me!

My post is only a suggestion to you because I think it's working out great for me!

Doug

87z16

Not-quite-so-new-guy
u can make these handle as good as an 5th gen vette. at a much lower cost than you expect.

if you do a search on here itll give you a break down of the reinforcement bars and sway bars that are available out there. in our world like a friend of mine says, "them f bodys are great for parts!" and also on some occaissons if u lucky to live around a u pull it u can find some scores with minimum outlay and just bolt them up, well after cleaning and updating.

for me i left my stock worn out springs with all the additional suspension updates and i think it gives a more compliant ride. other people compliment me all the time with how my 85 SS handles & rides. i just want to do the jeep update to the steering column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor