GBody Rear Disk Brake upgrade... detailed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

84clonewars

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
87ttop said:
Does this upgrade work for 15 inch 87 442 rallies

The fourth gen 98-02 f body brakes needs 16" wheels but the ones on ebay are the smaller setup and tyey say 15" wheels will work.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
87ttop said:

No. I have not seen any steel 15" wheels that will clear.
Over the years we ( 4 gbody owners that I know have installed the LS1 rear brakes ) have tried just about every 15" GM wheel we got our hands on.

What we tried and confirmed would not fit were
-chrome GN, steel MonteSS ( 83+84), S10 rally, Chrome 442, 70's Disco Firebird, corvette rally ( they all would hit the caliper )
** I didnt have a 15" 1980 - Z28 wheel to try but would like to hear back from someone who has

What did fit were the 15" GM aluminum wheels as they have a much flatter backside
-I run the Aluminum MonteSS Wheels (85-88) on my car
-A Freind runs the early 15" Grand National Turbine Style on his Cutlass,
-the S10/Sonoma 5 spoke alum wheel.
-we also had a 15" "american racing /centreline" wheel which cleared as well

Otherwise you need to step up to a 16" wheel. 2 other friends opted for the zq8 wheels on their cars with this brake package.

84mcVegas

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2010
las vegas,nv
quick question on relocating shock? .. thanks for great detail videos by the way .
you do the relocating shock for what reason ? to clear from hitting rim or brake caliper?

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
oldtinsmith said:
Are you planning a video about hooking up the "E-brakes"?

Doug

How are you Doug?

yes I intend to do another series showing the ebrake, using the camaro ebrake cables and modifying them... to show an inexpensive route to take, you can also use custom ebrake cables (more expensive) or universal cables etc... i think what scares people the most is the bracket... so will show that the best i can

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
axisg said:
87ttop said:

No. I have not seen any steel 15" wheels that will clear.
Over the years we ( 4 gbody owners that I know have installed the LS1 rear brakes ) have tried just about every 15" GM wheel we got our hands on.

What we tried and confirmed would not fit were
-chrome GN, steel MonteSS ( 83+84), S10 rally, Chrome 442, 70's Disco Firebird, corvette rally ( they all would hit the caliper )
** I didnt have a 15" 1980 - Z28 wheel to try but would like to hear back from someone who has

What did fit were the 15" GM aluminum wheels as they have a much flatter backside
-I run the Aluminum MonteSS Wheels (85-88) on my car
-A Freind runs the early 15" Grand National Turbine Style on his Cutlass,
-the S10/Sonoma 5 spoke alum wheel.
-we also had a 15" "american racing /centreline" wheel which cleared as well

Otherwise you need to step up to a 16" wheel. 2 other friends opted for the zq8 wheels on their cars with this brake package.
thank you for providing this detail, i will quote this into the first post, if you dont mind...

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
84mcVegas said:
quick question on relocating shock? .. thanks for great detail videos by the way .
you do the relocating shock for what reason ? to clear from hitting rim or brake caliper?
because I am putting the calipers to the rear, there is no (or no adequate) clearance between the shock and the caliper, in the video, the pics show the clearance after the shocks are relocated, i should have added pics of them before...

but in short, to provide clearance between the caliper and the shock...

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
LSCustoms said:
oldtinsmith said:
Are you planning a video about hooking up the "E-brakes"?

Doug

How are you Doug?

yes I intend to do another series showing the ebrake, using the camaro ebrake cables and modifying them... to show an inexpensive route to take, you can also use custom ebrake cables (more expensive) or universal cables etc... i think what scares people the most is the bracket... so will show that the best i can

Hey Skip! This whole year has been a continual "one step forward,,,two steps back" for me! But, I'm sure that things will get better soon enough! Just need to "chill" and relax more :) .... It's really good to hear from you again though, and looking forward to your ideas on the "E-brakes"!

Doug

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
oldtinsmith said:
Hey Skip! This whole year has been a continual "one step forward,,,two steps back" for me! But, I'm sure that things will get better soon enough! Just need to "chill" and relax more :) .... It's really good to hear from you again though, and looking forward to your ideas on the "E-brakes"!
Doug
me too, so I know how you feel... let me know if i can do anything to help... will get on the ebrakes soon as i can

Gbody

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2011
California
thnaks, im gonna try this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor