Gentlemen, I have bad news..

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
No those pieces are just the rear section of the frame. You would need a much longer section which im pretty sure no one makes. Either way the body has to come off for a proper fix so you would be farther ahead to just swap in a new frame. I would find one cheap, get it blasted, coated in a good chassis paint like POR-15, redo all the brake lines and fuel lines in stainless lines and then swap it. All of this could be over a length of time to make it affordable. That way everything is covered and a little peace of mind is there for preventing future rotting issues. If the frame is really rotted that bad I honestly doubt that the floors are solid. Mine looked solid but when I pulled the carpet up huge chunks of the floor came with it :lol:

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
If the frame is that bad, then it has most certainly traveled into the body mounts and floor. It will likely take a lot of cutting just to pull the body off, then new mounts will have to be welded in, some of which, are not reproduced. Floor panels are becoming more and more available. This would be a pretty epic project.

The 3rd gen montes are some of the best looking cars EVER IMO. My 1st, and currently my only is my 79. Will never let er go.

Romaniac

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2013
Carlola said:
If the frame is that bad, then it has most certainly traveled into the body mounts and floor. It will likely take a lot of cutting just to pull the body off, then new mounts will have to be welded in, some of which, are not reproduced. Floor panels are becoming more and more available. This would be a pretty epic project.

The 3rd gen montes are some of the best looking cars EVER IMO. My 1st, and currently my only is my 79. Will never let er go.

I certainly hope not!
Yes, I'm aware :O that's why I'm contemplating on getting a car with a healthier frame... But the way I see it is, it's only a matter of time before every decent g body frame rail rusts through, so you might as well do it yourself.. However, the rust starts way before the rear frame rails begin. That's why I'm lost.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Usually the body rusts out badly before the frame becomes that bad. With a frame swap you are probably going to have to deal with frozen body mount bolt and may find hidden rust.

Romaniac

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2013
Clone TIE Pilot said:
Usually the body rusts out badly before the frame becomes that bad. With a frame swap you are probably going to have to deal with frozen body mount bolt and may find hidden rust.
Maybe! But the thing is, this car has been garage kept for 20 years. That's why I'm surprised and disappointed about the frame rust.. I am not a welder by any means. But I would hate to see the car go. I hate the idea of parting out cars. It's like ripping limbs off people to me :p

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The malibu I have had the frame rails gone right up to the coil spring tops. It had 58 k original miles and the rest of the car is really solid and virtually rust free with the exception of the rear frame rails. The only rusted items I had to replace other thank the frame was the passenger side frame pads which I got from Conrad lozier. This was a Rhode Island one owner car.

The donor frame was from my 81 malibu that had completely rusted out floors but had a solid frame.

If you are looking to sell the car then it may not be worth it for you. Someone will see the potential and scoop it up from you since most of it looks solid.

But I say save it!

Romaniac

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2013
procircuit said:
Save it!! frame swaps can be a weekend job !!

I wish it was as easy for me as you make it sound! No shop, no welder. Hell, I am no welder my self. But I will go back to see my car, take an angle grinder to it, and see how far the rust goes down the frame- are there any other better ways to find out? From the looks of your input, I will be keeping the car. But only if it will make sense to do a rear frame swap. I just hope the floor pans arent rusted either

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor