Getting close, time for the dumb questions lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
79olds said:
buy a vacuum guage when car is in park turn on car let it idle adjust screws on front of carb turn in until it about to die then start turning them out until the vacuum guage stops at its highest vacuum then repeat with other screw then put car in drive holding brake adjust screws again to highest point of vacuum
would this help me with the prob im now havin aswell?

You can also lock your timing out to 38 or watever your motor likes you would just need a kill switch to the dizzy so you turn key have starter turn your motor then hit the switch and Bam car on and you don't have to worry about vacuum advance or idle problems

cutlass79 said:
79olds said:
buy a vacuum guage when car is in park turn on car let it idle adjust screws on front of carb turn in until it about to die then start turning them out until the vacuum guage stops at its highest vacuum then repeat with other screw then put car in drive holding brake adjust screws again to highest point of vacuum
would this help me with the prob im now havin aswell?

Yes it would help you out but you also need to check your plugs if they black and smell like gas you running rich if they white lean and etc or you could just adjust your idle little higher or timing and etc I never pay attention to stock timing settings there always underpowered

well as soon as i tred started it after redoin the vac lines gas started shoting out the carb like 3 feet up and i turned bouths the thuning bolts all he way down and it made no dif and alls i did was move to vac lines i dont get y its doing it

Sound like timing plug your vacuum advance line and see what happens or you have a major vacuum leak

"axisg"
first - in your picture there is a rigid steel tube bent in a u-shape and resting between 2 ignition wires... its about 1/4" and right there in front on the vacuum can on your distributor. This line popped out of the piece of rubber hose right behind the carb. Put that back in the tubing and make sure it's tight ( use a hose clamp if you have to ). This is full manifold vacuum and the line if unconnected will likely keep your trans from upshifting and cause a huge vacuum leak and idle problems

-Yeah I kind of thought that. But that steel tube isn't going anywhere near that rubber hose. I tried, and it just won't go that far. But at least now I know where it goes and can fix it.

The plug which comes off your manifold ( the one your car has the open ended rubber hose sticking out of it ) should have 2 nipples off it. The centre one is for the kickdown, the other is for the HVAC

-OK I remember that being the originally (I think). Hopefully the T fitting is on the floor in the back (that's where the ******* threw my a/c stuff and all the stuff he removed)

Off the carb should only be:
front - PCV & Vacuum Advance for the dist
*** I notice your vacuum advance on the distributor is capped so where is the vacuum from the front of your carb going now ?

-That hose on the front goes to the thermostat housing.

The bolt on the firewall is for your ground strap

-OK kind of thought so.

Thanx

79olds said:
You can also lock your timing out to 38 or watever your motor likes you would just need a kill switch to the dizzy so you turn key have starter turn your motor then hit the switch and Bam car on and you don't have to worry about vacuum advance or idle problems

Hmm this sounds interesting, never heard of that before. Is this good for a street car?

Yup locked out timing is fine for a streetcare especially if you have a high stall converter in your car instant power to the ground only downside your fuel.mileage will.suffer a bit but you'll have good throttle response

i guess my electronic choke just happed to stop working at the same time i was redoin the vac lines. so i just wired it open and she started right up i retuned the carb played with the timeing a little bit and wow she a hole deferent beast she sounds so much better and the throttle response is all there i wish i dident have it all pulled apart so i could take her out and she what she got now.phoenyx i hope this help you get ur carb set up right the first time. do ur vac lines like the link i posted shows. make sure ur choke is workin and play with ur timeing and carb a little bit to get her where she wants to be and u should be happy with her

Yeah that choke can make a big difference. Happy you got it figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor