Getting fed up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Pull plugs. If it has a cylinder that's worse than the rest, then you know where to start.

Have you checked intake bolt torque? If any are 'loose', then I'm with the intake gasket leak guys. Especially if the smoke on decel is excessive (can see it in the rear view).

I have to admit, when the Cutty is broke/not running right I don't sleep. But it doesn't bother me to be in the garage 'til 2 or 3 am and be up for work by 5 if it's all in the name 'the car'. The neighbors like it - just kidding :)

Keep the faith - there could be worst things - you could be working on a Fox body

Reactions: 3 users

Peter Gray

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2018
British Columbia
This has been a crappy year for the Monte.
First it was issues with the power windows,then the ignition coil died,then my aluminum water pump developed a crack and started leaking,then my Jeep steering shaft fell apart.
Back in July I changed the oil and switched from my old Valvoline conventional 10W-30 to a synthetic blend 10W-30.
It worked OK for a while but lately it has started smoking and oil consumption has increased.
So I drained the synthetic blend out and refilled with conventional oil again,but it is still smoking heavily.
WTF,if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all :blam:
I have two more car shows that I want to go to,then it might be time for early winter storage before I go back to work next month.
sh*t like this sure takes the fun out of having an old car.
Guy

An area often overlooked - Small block Chev engines have a history of leaking intake manifold gaskets. Such a leak is invisible because it occurs on the underside of the intake, in and around the centre (crossover for carb heat) When this happens there will be no visible external oil leaks. The oil is being sucked out of the engine lifter valley. Correction - install new intake gaskets and put a can of GM CLEENS through the engine to clean up the cylinders and rings.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
An area often overlooked - Small block Chev engines have a history of leaking intake manifold gaskets. Such a leak is invisible because it occurs on the underside of the intake, in and around the centre (crossover for carb heat) When this happens there will be no visible external oil leaks. The oil is being sucked out of the engine lifter valley. Correction - install new intake gaskets and put a can of GM CLEENS through the engine to clean up the cylinders and rings.

I have a big block,does this apply to them as well ???
Guy

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have a big block,does this apply to them as well ???
Guy
Same concept but only on engines with cylinder heads that have the crossovers. Im not sure what heads you have but if they're aftermarket I'd be willing to bet you don't have the crossovers.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
No crossovers since they are AFR 315 CNC heads so I assume you are using the AFR gasket that fits perfectly to the ports, I am currently using the same part number on my 335 heads and have never had a sealing issue and they don't come with end seals so you should have used a bead of silicone there on the front and rear.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I pulled all the plugs out this afternoon,most were relatively good,# 4 and # 5 were real bad,# 4 was especially bad,lots of gunk on it.# 4 is the top one.
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG

Maybe that's why its been hard to start lately LOL
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Those are some nasty looking plugs are you sure you didn't accidentally drop them in a bucket of sludge before taking the pictures.

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Those are some nasty looking plugs are you sure you didn't accidentally drop them in a bucket of sludge before taking the pictures.

LOL,yeah I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.
Guy

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If that is soft (oil), then you have an oil burning issue. How many mile on this set of plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor