Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
The way I see it, there are two ways you could look at this:

1) The “hippies” have won. Playtime is over.

2) We’re on the verge of a paradigm shift, with a fundamentally superior technology. Electric motors are max torque at 0 RPM. No ICE engine can match that. As costs come down and battery tech improves, it’s a win-win. Yes, the nostalgia of thumping V-8s won’t be there, and there won’t be as much “tinkering” as with ICE engines, but the amount you will be able to do will yield better results with less effort, potentially.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I would look at the upsides to this. Those electric motors are going to be perfectly happy spinning at 4000 rpm behind a non-overdrive transmission. This means you could have your 3.73 or lower rear gears and still turn it with an old Turbo 350 or a Muncie transmission without the downsides of horrible gas mileage or floating your valves trying to hold speed on the interstate.

If I could get 75 miles of range out of a swap like this, I would be on it in a heartbeat. I am not even worried about going to the dragstrip, I just want to not have to go to the gas station every 5 days.

Plus, even California couldn't complain about that motor swap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I would look at the upsides to this. Those electric motors are going to be perfectly happy spinning at 4000 rpm behind a non-overdrive transmission. This means you could have your 3.73 or lower rear gears and still turn it with an old Turbo 350 or a Muncie transmission without the downsides of horrible gas mileage or floating your valves trying to hold speed on the interstate.

If I could get 75 miles of range out of a swap like this, I would be on it in a heartbeat. I am not even worried about going to the dragstrip, I just want to not have to go to the gas station every 5 days.

Plus, even California couldn't complain about that motor swap.
75 miles doesn't even get me to work and back.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I think it’s pretty much decided that 200 miles is the new minimum benchmark for EVs. 75-80 may cut it for hobbyist cars, but not for daily drivers.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The way I see it, there are two ways you could look at this:

1) The “hippies” have won. Playtime is over.

2) We’re on the verge of a paradigm shift, with a fundamentally superior technology. Electric motors are max torque at 0 RPM. No ICE engine can match that. As costs come down and battery tech improves, it’s a win-win. Yes, the nostalgia of thumping V-8s won’t be there, and there won’t be as much “tinkering” as with ICE engines, but the amount you will be able to do will yield better results with less effort, potentially.

1. Outside of a few choice States/Provinces/Cities? Nope. The infrastructure is still very far away from being able to support this change. Also, there is little chance pure EVs will work over the wide expanses of Canada or the like. Now - extended range hybrids - absolutely!

2. Too many rednecks left to buy into a complete demise of high-powered petrol engines. What is the most power you have ever launched on? I ask because that is a visceral experience you'll never shake or trade for the whirls of magic pixies.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Different strokes, I guess. When Harley Davidson starts selling an all electric Streetglide you think guys will be lining up?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No. Just....no. It might be the future for some, but my cars were meant to burn fossil fuel. If you want to go fast and you don't want to do it in style, then I guess it's right up your alley. All I can say is I'm glad Oldsmobile died before they put an electric motor in it. The blower fan or moon roof should be the only electric motors in an Olds. I might get an EV one day...so I can go to the parts store economically to buy filters, parts and sh*t for my carbureted Oldsmobiles.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For you guys who don't like it try to imagine how Elon Musk feels with all the competition he has to deal with now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor