Got a Buick 455 for $25

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
Yeah, I will be searching the salvage yards instead of paying that kind of money. Any idea if the Melling MFA-350 will fit?
I have seen some sites (Summit) that say it will fit the 307, others (Jegs) say 260, 305, 350.

Reid

n00b
Feb 20, 2017
No, I know that if I use the BBB, I have to get new motor mounts and motor mount plates, center the drivetrain and go through that whole process. I'm wondering if an OLDS 455 would mount right in without having to move the plates (though with new motor mounts).
Yes Olds mount right in probably will need to shorten the driveshaft 1.5" or so given you already had the Olds 260 originally in the car

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Wont have to shorted the DS with just an engine swap. That is only required for transmission or rear end swaps.

Reid

n00b
Feb 20, 2017
Wont have to shorted the DS with just an engine swap. That is only required for transmission or rear end swaps.
Yeah I wasn't sure? I put a 455 in place of the 260 in mine leaving the 260 frame mounts in the factory location the 455 original crank pulley is extremely close to the steering and with the short tail 350 trans yet my ds is a bit too long figured because the bb 455s are a1.5" bigger? I have been told that the diesel mounts are better for clearances?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah I wasn't sure? I put a 455 in place of the 260 in mine leaving the 260 frame mounts in the factory location the 455 original crank pulley is extremely close to the steering and with the short tail 350 trans yet my ds is a bit too long figured because the bb 455s are a1.5" bigger? I have been told that the diesel mounts are better for clearances?
They are certainly bigger yes, by 195 cubic inches in displacement. It may sit a few inches further forward than the 260 did, but that's a given. Shortening the driveshaft won't do any good considering you can't go back any further because the firewall is in the way. You need at least an inch of clearance between the engine and the firewall. What part of the steering system is the crank plly close too? The steering box is on the driver's side and should not be anywhere near the middle front of the engine. The only thing that would be down there is the sway bar.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
My 87 Regal with a 455 BBB was originally bolted to the TH350 in its stock 3.8 location. I used donor big car frame mounts. My previous one has T/A 1970 GS 455 cast aluminum versions.

It has a long tail TH400 in it now.

I have done a 455 Olds and 403 in on 307 mounts like it was born there.

I did a Grand Prix with a 400 Pontiac on 301 mounts...they should have came that way!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
His Olds 260 oil filter adapter will work. I always thought the 307 mounts were different for G bodies, apparently not, mine must have been toasted. His 260 mounts will also work fine on that Olds 455.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Since the stock mounts will work, I still recommend getting new rubbers, if they have them. Just as a precaution. Any stock 455 will rip the stock ones right up

Reid

n00b
Feb 20, 2017
They are certainly bigger yes, by 195 cubic inches in displacement. It may sit a few inches further forward than the 260 did, but that's a given. Shortening the driveshaft won't do any good considering you can't go back any further because the firewall is in the way. You need at least an inch of clearance between the engine and the firewall. What part of the steering system is the crank plly close too? The steering box is on the driver's side and should not be anywhere near the middle front of the engine. The only thing that would be down there is the sway bar.
Yes sorry sway bar
Yes sorry sway bar my bad of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor