Got a Buick 455 for $25

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
A buddy of mine was at an auction, and knew I was looking for a 455 for my 79 Cutlass (not looking very hard). I had seen a few cores for $200, so I told him to take pics and let me know. From the numbers, I knew it was a 72-75 Buick 455. I told him do $100, nothing more.

Anyway, he wins it (and the trans with it, I guess a TH400) and he gets the story that it was running when the car was rear-ended, and stored inside since (don't know how long). He was able to turn the flywheel with a breaker bar, but not terribly easily.

Two quick questions:
1. For $25, I might just try bolting it all in and seeing how it goes. Any quick and easy way to tell, before bolting it all in, if it's just a boat anchor that will need rebuild? :)

2. I have the 260. I had read that most of the bracketry would transfer over to an OLDS 455. Same deal for Buick, or will I have other challenges? I currently have AC that was converted to 134a and works.

Thanks!

Tom

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Buick and Olds accessory bracketry is different. I would at least pull the valve covers before trying to make it run. The nylon buttons in the rockers do break over time. I have a '70 Buick 455, so I wish you the best with it; they're torque monsters.

• Creative
Reactions: 2 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
if you have a Buick 455 for $ 25 .....that is the deal of the century ...plus a transmission ? double score.

now just to drop it in a cross your fingers it runs well...if at all.....well thats a gamble at best .on the upside you will of dealt with all mounts and accessories by that point, so when you pull it out to rebuilt ,a bunch less things to deal with on the re-install .

my 2 cents .

Dave

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Yes, pull the valve covers off, the oil pan, intake, and timing cover. Spend the $50 for a gasket set, for peace of mind. I bought an Olds 455 that had 35K on it...pulled the intake off, and found dried up chunks of oily carbon that built up on the underside of the intake, and had fallen onto the lifters and camshaft.

Yes, you only spent $25 on it... but it could be the best $25 you spend on the car! Make it last! And, you'll learn what the insides look like.

Get it on an engine stand, and take your time.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
Good advice. I got a little more backstory, that both the engine and trans had been rebuilt in the late 80s, and the car was wrecked a short time later. Sounds like the biggest challenge for a knuckle dragging wrench turner like me is getting the motor mounts right.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If it was rebuilt and then stored soon after, it should look like it. By that I mean it should have pretty good paint and not an inch of grease on everything. If it looks clean then I would mount it on an engine stand and oil up the cylinders. Then rotate it by hand until it is nice and loose. After that hook up a starter and battery. Screw an oil pressure gauge into the oil pump housing sender port. Pull the spark plugs and spin the motor using the starter. See what kind of oil pressure you have. If it's decent, then do a compression test for each cylinder. A rebuilt motor should have good solid compression in every cylinder. If it passes all this, then grab a beer and congratulate yourself on one hell of a score!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
Finally taking possession of this BBB, and I have a local shop that specializes in BOP, and I am going to have their engine builder give it a look-see. Stupid question -- would an Olds 455 "bolt right in," without the headache of changing/moving the mount pads?

Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know if you have to move them or can use them but why wouldn't you spend a few $$ to use new engine mounts

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
No, I know that if I use the BBB, I have to get new motor mounts and motor mount plates, center the drivetrain and go through that whole process. I'm wondering if an OLDS 455 would mount right in without having to move the plates (though with new motor mounts).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor