Got hosed on a Craigslist deal again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I have always had better luck when all the wheelin and dealin is done in person. The buyer gets to look the stuff over, we can talk about it, and most of the time the deal is done and both of us are happy. Honestly the best transactions I had were when I did tag or garage sales with a strict time and where and with what was available. No phone number involved. I did these during neighborhood group sales at a Relatives house in a busy development. Worked out fine the few times I did it. The complex runs these once a month so I have plenty of oppertunities to sell stuff if I need to.

The phone and texting scenarios bring me nothing but frustration and aggravation. I had become so tired of promises, “i will be there ....” and the lookie loos who have no intention of buying, but just wasting my time. The tire kickers as I call them. Around here I just stay away from CL and my blood pressure has remained low since I have down this! lol

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I would agree with DRIVEN in how I look at CL and other dealings. Depends on the item and my feel for the buyer too and how serious they might be. I don't mind waiting or holding an item some times but unless they ask and I say yes, it's not assumed. Many flakes both ways.

That said, I do have a set of buckets for $150 if the OP want's to make a drive near Milwaukee ;). Out of an 87'SS I'm parting out.

• Creative

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Craigslist (and E-bay) are riddled with flakes. Don't believe me, try to sell something over $500 on E-bay. Some kid in the projects will bid on it, you'll wait weeks for money, then just give up.

At least on E-bay there is a feedback mechanism (that you can't REALLY use, because if you give negative feedback to someone for being a flake, they'll give negative feedback to you - for just trying to sell something for over $500 off E-bay).

There are/were flakes on this Forum. Anyone hear from L67SS lately?

If someone gives me a deposit (non refundable) or says they will bring cash on certain day, I'll hold something and give them the benefit of the doubt, but I ASSUME that if someone is selling something, the first one that shows up with cash gets it and if I'm not that guy, I'm not gonna whine about it.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
From B: 10grand?

Michael to B: You must be a simple man.

Yeah, I'll take less than half the asking price... riiiiight...

cjk374

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2017
Louisiana
I have never used CL or Ebay. I don't even have a pay-pal account. I have never trusted the internet when it comes to my personal information. I try to operate old-school whenever possible. But I have seen a few items on eBay I would love to have. Never looked at CL before.

So which is better to use? CL or Ebay?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So which is better to use? CL or Ebay?
I personally like buying on Ebay and selling on Craigslist.
I don't like selling on Ebay because they take a fee regardless if you sell or not and then a percentage if you do sell but sometimes they are the only place to reach the customer base you are looking for.
On Ebay when buying I look for reputable sellers with very high ratings and preferably lots of sales and I also look at their negative reviews since many times it is the buyers that leave bad reviews that are the idiots.
CL is different since for the most part you are dealing with people directly when I am selling something I try to make my adds "moron proof " so I post as many pictures as needed with a very detailed description of the item and it's condition if used etc.
It's always good to do research on the items you are selling or buying and check for the going rates on those items.
I have had many great transactions on both but there will always be people that will mislead you to make a sale so as always "buyer beware".

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have tried to make my adds moron proof but occasionally I fail. Trying to sell a Jeep for $600 and listed it as a parts car or off roading or a project. Had people come and look at it, one said it needed work, another asked what it needed for a safety and another asked how much if I sold it with a safety certificate. I told him $4,000, he left. The guy who did buy it called back and said he wanted his money back cause his mechanic said it was not fit for the road....I hate selling stuff...:blam:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Unless you are selling a car, E-bay rapes you on the combo of ebay and paypal fees. I don't know how anyone who has to add sales tax onto those can make any money on E-bay.

My son is a DJ so he was selling a DJ mixer board on E-bay. He paid $500 so he listed it for $400. It gets bid to $575 and sells. kid with a 3 ebay rating (bought a phone case and a couple "privates") wins. We wait 2 weeks for the kid to pay, never does.... which was ideal, because I think with all the fees it was over $80 and shipping would have been on top of that. We Streetview the kids house using his shipping address... straight up broken window ghetto. That kid aint paying. Before the "non payer bidder" case is settled, he lists the board on Craigslist and it sells in a day for $500 cash and ebay refunds all the fees a month later. Never using Ebay for that kind of thing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor