Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Buying a used car is always a gamble.

I always follow my fathers advice:

Never buy it on description or looks. Always wait a few days after the first time you have seen it, then go see it and ask for a test drive. A good seller will be understanding and ablige, a bad one will want to see cash first.
Dont drive it hard, its not your car yet and you dont want to break something....just get it hot enough, take it down a bumpy road to test the suspension, test the brakes, the trans, the steering, etc.
Park it on level ground and look for drips.
Ask the seller why they are selling it/how long have they owned it?
Check the oil. If the oil is dirty, stick is dirty...engine is dirty.
Stick your finger in the exhaust pipe. Oily/water residue is bad, carbon isnt.
Look at the tire wear on the front tires ...and are they all the same size, brand.
If not, the owner is not very organized and likely not gonna be very trust worthy about the description.
Check a/c and heat.
Keep a magnet in a hankerchief in your pocket so you can check for bondo in the rust prone areas.
Then, if you still want it, offer him 80% of what hes asking for it and dont budge. :mrgreen:

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Interestingly enough When I look for a used car I always try to find UNMOLESTED STOCK .

I had a 79 chevy C10 that came with a 350 diesel ( junk) Took it out after a year and dropped in a olds rocket 350
from a 71 Delta 88 . But then all the engine parts were related to the oldsmobile and the rest of the truck still chevy.

When I sold it the guy that bought it never even asked what motor it had. I just told him it was a 350 v 8.
Clearly you could see the motor was gold in color. That was trademark olds color.
If he would have asked I would have told him...

Now I have an 87 monte carlo w/ 79 Camaro 355 / 85 chevy truck TH 350 trans Not that it matters that much but it makes for a heckle
& jeckle type of car. And much more difficult to remember when at the parts counter.

I had a parts guy give me the wrong oil filter for that chevy with the olds rocket motor. After the oil was changed I cranked it up and it dumped 5 quarts of oil all over the driveway before I could shut it off. Oh yes ! :rofl: :wtf:

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Well too bad it wasnt a corvette 350, then it would really have been a jeckyl and heckylide.

P.S.
Its all the same oil filter. Chevy or "rocket".

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
online170 said:
P.S.
Its all the same oil filter. Chevy or "rocket".

Are you trying to say an olds and chevy use the same oil filter? They don't. Thread is the same but the gasket diameter is different.

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
ya he probly wasn't happy with the small267 but it ran good and the body was immaculate there's pics on gbody somewere of it.. ya imean he drove it the bill of sale said as is..sh*t happens isold it to a flashy gangster with cash as it got dark out and I maybe got caught in the heat of the moment abit but he got it as is.he had it a week..I've heard from friends they have seen the car around but who knows its sickining but the cars gone ,chock it up to experience ad move on..igot tired of his threats by texts.....glad its over. I've sold 4 cars this year and nevr had a issue.but what can u do...ucant screen buyers sometimes ................the car was a 5000 car 78 k miles original very nice body..he got it fr 1700 in the end. I had to sell it f manor 3500 due to not many lookers only tire kickers and I needed the money to build a garage and winter is coming soon enuff...oh did I mention he said he'd trade me the car back if I gave him my other 79 malibu ? Which is even more clean and nice all original also?!.. f. That.......good day people. Thanx for caring

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
I still got scammed 5 days later tryin to gethalf his money back sayin I sold him sum. B.s just saying..and no the deals been over for a month but it hurts.
DRIVEN said:
Lose no sleep over this deal. It's got a new owner now-- don't look back. You have no legal obligation and it would be unwise to continue any further discussion with the buyer. As far as selling for $3500 on a $5000 asking price, that's on you. You didn't get robbed. You didn't have to sell it.

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
I checked no laws on used cars or a lemon law..
1983regal said:
Just make sure you know what the law is in your state, some states require you to fix anything wrong with the car before selling it. Even though you sell it as is you may be liable for repairs in your state.

Fader

Greasemonkey
Apr 29, 2011
Eastern Nebraska
I hear ya... It is easy for us to say 'don't give back any $'...but when someone is threatening you & your family, you have to make the call... I try to never meet anyone from craigslist @ my house or give them my last name, but of course all that info is on the car title...at least you still have your g.body collection & your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor