GP Service Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I just found this forum! Great stuff.

Since this is my first post, I'll be brief. I'm rebuilding my 83 GP (original owner, factory ordered the vehicle in Aug 82). I have the original "1983 Rear Wheel Drive G Sevice Manual", which I bought from GM in 1983. However, the manual never included sections 4 and 7. I don't even know what's in those sections, because the Table of Contents skips them as well. I assume one of these sections must be the inside (?).

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Andry

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i have the chilton manual for 64-88 chevy mid-sized cars. what do ya need? i have a scanner at work and i can send ya what ever ya need.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for your quick reply!

I need to know how to remove the trim around the vinyl top, back of hood, as well as drip rails, etc.

BTW, I could be wrong, but this might be covered in the Fisher Body manual, which I ordered in electronic format for $11, but have not received yet.

All help is welcome.

Thanks,
Andry

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I can give you a few ideas as I just put the trim back on my Cutlass. I did a pictorial of the sequence(and it is an exact sequence!!!) in my build thread on the drip rail moldings and weatherstrip channels, and more things are coming on how to assemble a G body. Anyhow, the back of the hood trim is probably like mine. It slides off the back. I would use a small body hammer and a block of wood to gradually work it off the back of the hood by going at it from end to end until it is off. I like to use paint mixing sticks for this as they can't get lots of pressure going on them if you use them longways. They will slip off instead of damaging things. As for the top trim, I would lift up the trim by the opera windows slightly, and try to turn the trim clips 90 degrees. That is how you do it on a Cutlass, maybe it's the same on yours.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
LOL... I can remember getting excited about finding a tattered Fischer Body manual at a swap meet. They looked at me like I was nuts for being interested in a car that new. (after all, at most of these "shows" if you don't have at least $40k in your car that is no newer than 1972, you are about as much of an outcast as a guy in a new Kia at the country club. Sure it's technically a car, but you just didn't spend enough.)

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks guys.

I spent some time browsing the web, trying to find a source for a Fisher Body manual. Well, good news is that I've found a source. :D You can purchase the complete manual on either a CD or in downloadable PDF format. Here's the link:

https://www.78ta.com/store/home.php?cat=3

I purchased the PDF manual on-line and it's great. The cost is $11. Not bad. Mind you, the manual covers models up to 1981, but the GP didn't change much between 81 and 83.

Let me know what you think.

BTW, how can I get to the "Drip rail replacement" thread?

Andry

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's I think on page 27 of my build thread, link in my sig. If not, it should be within a few pages of it.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Where do you purchase the small trim pieces? I'm looking for the thin rubber strips that fit horizontally and vertically between the front windshield and the chrome moulding that surrounds the windshield?

Also, where can I purchase a new chrome piece that clips on the rear of the hood (i.e., on the cowl side)?

You guys have all the experience, and I'm just starting on the body, so any help is always welcome.

Thanks,
Andry

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Unfortunately, those items are not available reproduction. The only way to get them is either NOS, or you have to restore what you have. The plastic pieces would be a nice find, but they were only ever sold with a new molding, so you would have to find a set of moldings at a swap meet or somewhere in this vast wasteland we all call the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor