Grand national 8.5 10 bolt value

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
Hi all, this is my first post and hope it’s in the right stop, but.... my question is I’m looking at a rear end that is a 8.5 10 bolt that came out of a grand national. I’m just not sure of the value of it with and without a posi unit. They are wanting $1500 and it’s supposedly a posi with 3.42 gears. Any help as to the value of these rears would be much appreciated. Thx

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Hi all, this is my first post and hope it’s in the right stop, but.... my question is I’m looking at a rear end that is a 8.5 10 bolt that came out of a grand national. I’m just not sure of the value of it with and without a posi unit. They are wanting $1500 and it’s supposedly a posi with 3.42 gears. Any help as to the value of these rears would be much appreciated. Thx
$1500 is right around market value......If you are confident that it doesn't need anything, I would offer $1300. Quick Performance 9" would be a good choice for a few hundred more.

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I got $1500 for the last 8.5” I sold. It lasted exactly 6 hours on craigslist. I would buy it before it’s gone. The housing on mine was not pitted and it was posi traction with 3.73 gears. I don’t understand the logic of “it’s a 40-year-old part so I’m not going to pay that much”. Rear axles are steel guys and don’t have a shelf life. You should still inspect it and ask the right questions. If it lived under a drag car all of its life that would be a different story. Go get it and be happy that you have a nice, stout GM rear under your Malibu.

BTW, if you have a 2004R or TH400 I have (4) drive shafts from VIN 9 cars I would sell. Have fun with your purchase!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My comment about age (OK, 34 at the oldest) was intended to make the point that if it's out of the car, you know nothing about the life it had. Maybe it did live under a drag car, maybe it didn't.

I would wager that a 12 bolt under a truck led an easier life than an 8.5 under a car that are famous for being leaned on.

Age has nothing to do with price, don't know where that came from?

As stated in my first response, if it's worth that to YOU, go for it.

Well, gotta go drive my shitty 7.5 to work

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I agree with L92 Olds on this. But I do understand the concerns brought up about used parts and questionable pasts. But what if you buy a whole car? You're doing the same thing. I got three 8.5 rears under my cars and they're originals. Old as dirt. But yet, I have no problem running them.

Do the due diligence on checking the rear end out first just as you would check out the rest of a car if you bought one. Ask if you can bring a magnetic base dial indicator to measure some backlash and check out the axles. If you don't have a dial indicator, go by feel. It should clunk back and forth just a bit, but if it feels real sloppy, you know you'll have to fix that. If they won't let you pop the cover, then ask why. I'd see that as a sign to walk. And if you find it needs rebuilding, use that as a negotiating point.

BTW, you can get new gears and install them for probably <300 with new bearings all around. You STILL can likely get away with less than 2K into it even if you refurbish it.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Like was said, I would make an offer you are comfortable with, change the gear oil and run it. Whatever happens after that, just go with it. I have a 8.5 housing that I have $350 into and its got no parts in it. I got it cheap because it was missing the brackets. So I had to pay my welder friend to put the brackets on and square it up.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Ultimately, this is about the housing. Everything else is replaceable. Even the axle shafts.

It will be hard to tell if the axle tubes are bent, but look for differences in the surface on either side of the central casting. If you spin the yoke, do both axle ends spin without wobble? Make sure there is no leak where the tubes go into the casting.

Ask for a look inside and see how cooked the fluid is. Is there a lot of shiny stuff on the ‘donut’ magnet?

Bring $1500 in cash but don’t show it until you make the deal. Make your offer. Be ready to take it home if it looks decent.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My comment about age (OK, 34 at the oldest) was intended to make the point that if it's out of the car, you know nothing about the life it had. Maybe it did live under a drag car, maybe it didn't.

I would wager that a 12 bolt under a truck led an easier life than an 8.5 under a car that are famous for being leaned on.

Age has nothing to do with price, don't know where that came from?

As stated in my first response, if it's worth that to YOU, go for it.

Well, gotta go drive my shitty 7.5 to work
Doubt my truck :ROFLMAO:

Many buick turbo cars lived 1/4 mile at a time... my truck lived about 1/8 mile at a time, just not on pavement...but has still recently turned 90k miles.

When I think of some of the loads it's hauled. It lived the Carolina squat before it was popular. Nice thing about old trucks... they might be rated for a 1500lb payload, but they'll haul 3k in that 8 foot bed with ease. Too bad gm dropped to the 10 bolt in the 80s with the gov bomb err lock.

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Supply/demand, they don't make 8.5" g-body rears anymore and more and more people want stronger rears. The Ford 9" is stronger(and saps more power) but 99% of people don't need anything more than the 8.5" and honestly probably 80% of the cars are fine with a 7.5" still in it. My choice is the bolt in 8.5" over the other options and I've been lucky to find two posi rears for cheap to dirt cheap prices. $1,500 seems about right for a posi unit that is in good shape, if good enough to bolt in and not worry about anything. If you don't buy it someone else will, chances are the seller knows this.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's the going price unfortunately. I'd say count on it needing clutches and bearings, but I'm quite pessimistic as well. You are taking a risk though, it could need clutches, gears, side & spider gears, axles and brakes.

But, as long as it isn't bent, then it will hold it's value if you find it's a basket case.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor