Grand national 8.5 10 bolt value

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
Hi all, this is my first post and hope it’s in the right stop, but.... my question is I’m looking at a rear end that is a 8.5 10 bolt that came out of a grand national. I’m just not sure of the value of it with and without a posi unit. They are wanting $1500 and it’s supposedly a posi with 3.42 gears. Any help as to the value of these rears would be much appreciated. Thx

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
That's an average asking price for them. Not a great deal, but not out of the ballpark either. They are kind of hard to come by and IMO, one of the best cheapest upgrades for our cars. Ford 9" usually runs around 3k all said and done.
I bought a 9” with an Eaton trutrac, 31 spline axles and 3:70 gears (I could have gotten any ration at the same price). Yukon modular housing and everything new (even all the housings). Quick performance built it as a direct bolt in for my gbody elcamino at a cost of $3200 with wilwood brakes and park brake set up. I will never have to touch this set up for the rest of my life. It worth it to me

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I bought a 9” with an Eaton trutrac, 31 spline axles and 3:70 gears (I could have gotten any ration at the same price). Yukon modular housing and everything new (even all the housings). Quick performance built it as a direct bolt in for my gbody elcamino at a cost of $3200 with wilwood brakes and park brake set up. I will never have to touch this set up for the rest of my life. It worth it to me
Thank you for proving my point. People see a bare housing for a couple hundred bucks and think they can get into a 9" for under 1k. Unless they have everything to fill it already, you end up spending about 3k as you did. It's not a bad route, but many are only looking at price & going for what appears to be the cheapest option, the 9", which usually isn't the case.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Nothing wrong with ^^^this plan as long as you want to drop $3k on it. And $1500 for an 8.5 that needs gears, a bearing kit, a set of clutches and possible gears for the posi, then needs brakes makes the 9" start looking pretty good. Finding a truly ready to bolt in 8.5 for $1500 is a much better choice to for the 'discriminating' g-body guy merely for the reason of factory/parts store replacement parts that are cheap IMHO. But finding one ready to bolt in is nearly impossible.

Pick your poison :)

Reactions: 5 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Not sure why the name calling. This is an obsolete item. The general G body enthusiast is pretty tight, budget builder and DIY'ers. That means you have no issues welding up and putting in a Mustang rear. Different width, converting to Ford brakes, 4.5" bolt pattern and getting the parking brake to work.

For a 34 year old part the term bolt in does not mean buy and bolt in. It means it will fit without modification. Rebuild is expected in any 30 year old mechanical part.

I had one for sale for $2300 Canadian. I was already told by the DIY'ers what a retard I am but I was not trying to put it in their garage. It was for someone who wanted a low mileage rust free Grand National G80.

The bottom line is it was sold to a G body guy, not on these forums. He could not believe it was available and bought it sight unseen.

My conversation with him confirms my theory. There are 2 buyers out there for G body rears. 1 is you don't care what rear ends up in your car. It's basically is Dollars vs strength or availability.
2. Is someone looking for a factory correct rear. IMHO, there is no other option for them. Similar to Grand National front seats. The price is not what they are worth. The price is what you will need to pay someone because there are not many left. If that hurts your wallet. Standard Regal seats or you are sitting in a set of Procars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Communism must strike G body rear end pricing.

Price of any 8.5 will be fixed at $350. You no longer have free market control over what you think it is worth. Tax dollars will be funneled into foundries to reproduce center sections if the supply dries up.

You will also be fined and taken to the Gulag if you are found with a Ford designed rear end in your G body. That is heresy.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No sure why the name calling. This is an obsolete item. The general G body enthusiast is pretty tight, budget builder and DIY'ers. That means you have no issues welding up and putting in a Mustang rear. Different width, converting to Ford brakes, 4.5" bolt pattern and getting the parking brake to work.

Dude, no one is name calling that I seen, but I’m a little blind too. FWIW, finding a mustang 8.8 is borderline impossible as well. AFAIC there is only one budget option for G rears presently and it an Explorer 8.8 with Exploder axles. Make a truss kit or drop $600 for a bought kit with arms.

$3k is what it used to be considering no one works for less $15-20/hr now, so the Ford starts looking better.

I’m not sure how many ‘discriminating’ consumers out there are looking to build a factory correct G-body, but from what you’re saying there are some.

When push comes to shove, a guy can still find a GN, T-type if they want for less than 20k. That’s pretty cheap in the car world considering Vettes, Camaros, Challengers and mustangs less than 10 years old go for more than that by 50% and can be used as a daily at 500+hp.

The G body crowd is generally a budget oriented bunch, so big dollars on a rear generally causes a stir and conversation, but it’s all friendly here - ALWAYS.

p.s. Northernregal I’m trying to use the ‘discriminating’ term correctly hehe

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Dude, no one is name calling that I seen, but I’m a little blind too. FWIW, finding a mustang 8.8 is borderline impossible as well. AFAIC there is only one budget option for G rears presently and it an Explorer 8.8 with Exploder axles. Make a truss kit or drop $600 for a bought kit with arms.

$3k is what it used to be considering no one works for less $15-20/hr now, so the Ford starts looking better.

I’m not sure how many ‘discriminating’ consumers out there are looking to build a factory correct G-body, but from what you’re saying there are some.

When push comes to shove, a guy can still find a GN, T-type if they want for less than 20k. That’s pretty cheap in the car world considering Vettes, Camaros, Challengers and mustangs less than 10 years old go for more than that by 50% and can be used as a daily at 500+hp.

The G body crowd is generally a budget oriented bunch, so big dollars on a rear generally causes a stir and conversation, but it’s all friendly here - ALWAYS.

p.s. Northernregal I’m trying to use the ‘discriminating’ term correctly hehe
Joe Biden GIF by ABC News

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Is having china parts on a American car the same as having a ford rear end in a GM car ? Hell g body guys fight over pricing on these 8.5s can't imagine the poor Chrysler guys finding Dana 60s lol older and less common to begin with . Definitely bottom line something is only worth what someone will pay if you got a numbers matching car you probably respect the price of these parts rather then someone like a race car person (me) idc about it being GM I'd rather see a guy restoring a GN or a 442 get that 8.5 ,me I'd rather throw a 9in together real quick and be done with it plentiful in junkyards, strong, easy to build, cheap on parts , especially if you do circle track racing always see them for sale ... Besides 8.5 just a truck axle anyways 😂😂

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor